Squid Game: The record-setting series gets the green light – Review

Since it came out, it has been absolutely impossible to get away from the talk about Squid Game. Everyone seems to be insanely hooked on the new Netflix original Korean drama, released less than a month ago. Twitter memes, Instagram pages, conspiracy theories on TikTok, and in-depth analysis in audiovisual forums have all sprung up in an amazingly short time. But what is the key to the show’s unstoppable success?

Captivating audiences around the globe in just three weeks, the show written by Hwang Dong-hyuk has reached more than 111 million viewers, making it Netflix’s biggest original yet, eclipsing even the mighty series Bridgerton or The Queen’s Gambit

As with any other massive topic within the entertainment industry, Squid Game has sparked an intense debate not only over capitalism but also on other critical issues like poverty and inequality which highlight South Korea’s idiosyncrasies, that the Western world is barely even aware of. A major reaction, similar to that of Parasite’s popularity among audiences and success in several international film festivals, has enhanced awareness of the situation beyond our borders, both educating and taking the audience out of its comfort zone. 

Meaningful, real-life stories inspired the script, with characters struggling to survive in a cruel world that gives them no chance of prosperity at all. Stuck following the status-quo, and dealing with his own inner crisis, Seong Gi-Hun (Lee Jung-jae) and his fellow contestants will become puppets in a bunch of deadly playground games to win a 45.6 billion Won cash prize. In the meantime, they will lose their humanity, since the ‘competition’ is synonymous with both ‘murder’ and ‘betrayal’.

The persistent usage of a specific colour palette during the whole series has been one of the most discussed features on social media. Both green and red patterns seem to be continuously present on-screen, with green depicting innocence, and red, power. Green is, undoubtedly, the colour representing the working class, whereas the elite in charge are dressed in red, symbolic of the blood spilled throughout the game. “Red light, green light” is the very first childish game they have to play in the pursuit of the final prize. Once that step is taken, nothing in their lives will remain the same.

In each one of the six lethal challenges, hundreds of contestants have to succeed not only for their own sake, but also to learn a lesson related to popular Korean traditions. For instance, the game of marbles’ teaches those who play it, loyalty and honesty. Similarly,  the way ‘squid game’ is played teaches them about self-sacrifice. Every game hides a moral to bear in mind.

I would highly recommend it for a weekend binge-watching session. Squid Game is a melting pot of outstanding former works, such as The Hunger Games, Money Heist and Battle Royale, yet its essence is fresher than any other mainstream dystopia we’ve seen in recent years. After being rejected by countless producers, its creator Hwang Dong-hyuk was fully convinced Squid Game would never see the light of day, let alone on such a compelling content platform as Netflix, but here it is, thirteen years later, beating the platform’s record. I have to say, I’m eager for season two to be announced.

5/5 stars.

Liberty Belle reveal Forge Arts & Theatre Editor on 2024/25 Committee

Editor Jasmine Pegg joins former Arts & Theatre Editor Faith Suronku-Lindsay & a team of ten other students leading this year's magazine

Sheffield United Women disappoint in defeat to Bristol City

Sheffield United slipped to a seventh consecutive league defeat after being outclassed by Bristol City at Bramall Lane.

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history