Millers see off Black Cats with 5-1 win

Rotherham United beat Sunderland for the first time since 1962 at the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

The first major chance of the game went to Ogbene, who was blocked by opposing defenders.

The Miller’s fast start to the game was rewarded, as Smith scored his 11th goal of the season, heading the ball beyond Hoffmann from a floated cross in the 11th minute.

24 minutes in Sunderland were level in controversial circumstances: Rotherham felt they should have been given two fouls right outside the Sunderland box, but the appeals were waved away, leading to the Black Cats breaking forwards and finding Stewart, who rolled the ball in to equalise.

Vickers raced off his line for Rotherham to prevent Dajaku’s chance in giving the visitors the lead, as he was just about able to take the ball off the attacker’s foot.

Rotherham regained the lead in the 42nd minute, as Smith turned provider to set up Ladapo with a cross from the right-hand side. The latter took his chance and put the Millers back in front.

Seconds later Stewart was unlucky to not even the score for Sunderland, hitting a dipping effort from range which hit the frame of the goal and was cleared.

It was 2-1 at halftime, as the Millers led through goals from Smith and Ladapo, but Stewart had his say for Sunderland and was continuing to threaten for the visitors.

McGeady was given his first of what would be two yellows for the 35-year-old straight from the game’s resumption, as he slid in late and caught his man. The second yellow card followed only ten minutes later, whereafter McGeady was dismissed.

Rotherham started the second half as they ended the first, as Ihiekwe headed in unchallenged from a corner to score the 3-1.

The game seemed to have slowed down with Rotherham content to take a 3-1 win, until the ball was floated into Smith, who put it into the bottom right-hand corner for the 4-1.

Substitute Kayode rounded Hoffmann in the 88th minute and set up Ladapo for his second and Rotherham their fifth goal of the game, finalising the historic win.

Rotherham United: Vickers, Harding, Barlaser, Wiles, Ladapo, Ogbene (Kayode 75), Ferguson (Miller 75), Rathbone, Ihiekwe, Edmonds-Green, Smith (Sadlier 75).

Sunderland: Hoffmann, Flanagan, Doyle, Dajaku (Evans 59), Embleton (Gooch 45), O’Nien (Wright 45), Stewart, Winchester, Cirkin, Neil, McGeady.

Referee: David Rock

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...