Barnsley fall to Hull City in crucial relegation zone clash

Hull City won for the first time after five consecutive defeats at Oakwell, beating Barnsley 2-0.

Despite Barnsley having much of the ball in the opening 15 minutes, the two best chances went to The Tigers in the opening stages through Smallwood and Magennis.

Hull did however gain control of the tie as the half developed. Lewis-Potter went down in the box and wanted a penalty 22 minutes in, but his appeals were waved away by the referee. Cole had a chance to put the hosts in front, finding himself on the end of a cross from close range that he ballooned over the bar. Brittain turned his man and fired at Baxter in the Hull City goal, only for the shot stopper to parry his effort away. 

McCann’s Hull side had the lead 33 minutes in, and Barnsley only had themselves to blame. A cross turned Moon round, who inadvertently directed the ball towards his own net forcing a great save from Collins, but Honeyman was there to follow in for Hull to give The Tigers the lead.

Lewis-Potter broke through The Tykes’ defence soon after but couldn’t get a cross in after hanging onto the ball for too long and narrowing his angle down.

Hull deservedly led by a goal to nil at the interval despite Barnsley’s fast start courtesy of Honeyman’s strike.

The Tigers had an excellent chance to double their lead, as Honeyman fired a one-on-one straight at Collins, and Magennis’ rebound from close range was smashed over. Laumann’s team grew into the second half, and by the hour mark were putting significant pressure on The Tigers’ goal but hadn’t had the shots to challenge Baxter.

Hull doubled their lead against the run of play through Lewis-Potter in the 75th minute. He was one-on-one with Collins after being played in by Honeyman and slotted it past him to make it two for the visitors.

Longman hit the post off the bench for Hull late in the game from a one-on-one, which was all too easy for The Tigers to fashion an opening. McCann’s side dominated proceedings barring a flurry from Barnsley early on in the second half and fully deserved the victory.

Barnsley: Collins; Williams (Styles 57’), Kitching, Helik, Moon, Brittain; Gomes, Benson (Palmer 72’); Cole (Adeboyejo 45’), Leya Iseka; Woodrow. 

Hull City: Baxter; Coyle (Emmanuel 37’), Bernard, Greaves, Elder; Smallwood, Docherty; Lewis-Potter, Honeyman, Wilks (Longman 69’); Magennis (Smith 69’). 

Referee: Stephen Martin

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...