Alternatives to caffeine, for a healthy boost of energy

Everyone loves it. More than this, everyone loves to go on about how terrible it is for us.

The NCA (National Coffee Association) says coffee is made of “The berries harvested from species of coffee plants,” and there are actually around 25 to 100 species of coffee plants. Experts disagree on what is the correct classification of coffee, but these plants provide the coffee beans which give us our morning brew.

So is coffee really that bad for you?

I personally never thought that I would be a coffee lover until this year when something suddenly clicked. But I’ve always wondered whether the caution of too much caffeine is something that the casual coffee drinker had to be concerned about.

A moderate amount of caffeine can actually have multiple benefits.

A study in 2019 found that having moderate amounts of caffeine in your system has a protective effect against liver cancer.

And other studies have found a positive effect on the brain, such as a boost on long term memory and a range of other diseases like Type 2 Diabetes and Parkinson’s Disease with moderate caffeine stimulation.

However, Steven E. Meredith, a postdoctoral research fellow at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, said that caffeine is a ‘psychoactive substance’ which is something that many people forget due to such widespread consumption.

He said: “Unlike most other psychoactive substances, caffeine use is socially acceptable, and the drug is widely used. In fact, caffeine is the most commonly used psychoactive substance in the world.

Moreover, the vast majority of caffeine consumers use the substance regularly without apparent harm. These factors likely contribute to the perspective that caffeine is a benign substance that everyone can use without suffering any negative consequences.

Too much caffeine consumed can give us some harmful side effects.

A review in 2015 suggested that more than 400mg of caffeine a day could lead to effects such as; a faster heartbeat, anxiety, restlessness, tremors and sleeping problems.

They also said that these effects can be seen in those suffering from caffeine withdrawal.

Despite these side effects not exactly sounding the nicest, if we consider that the average cup of coffee has around 100 mg of caffeine in it, having one or two cups of coffee in a day is not going to hurt you.

Moreover, we don’t particularly want to be reliant on coffee to get through our day. So if you are thinking about taking a bit of a break from coffee, there are certain activities and foods which give you a similar (but much more natural) boost of energy.

Food and drinks to use as an alternative to coffee include:

Green tea and Matcha

Although these drinks have caffeine in them, it hasn’t anywhere near the same amount as regular coffee – perfect to minimise your caffeine intake!

Water

This may not taste as nice as coffee, but a large glass of water straight away when you wake up in the morning will certainly give you some momentum to kickstart your day. Hydration is key.

Peppermint tea

Caffeine-free and researchers have found that the scent increases alertness and decreases fatigue.

Apples or berries

Having fresh fruit really helps with making me feel much more revived. Nourishing my body with those micronutrients, as well as the natural sugars help a lot with the sluggish feeling.

Ways to wake yourself up naturally include:

Sleeping with blinds open: Waking up to light in the morning naturally can help to suppress our melatonin levels and allow for a more regular sleep cycle.

Exercise: Going for a run or going to the gym helps to get our bodies moving and the oxygen flowing. However, exercise doesn’t need to be this rigorous; doing some yoga, a few stretches or a walk can be just as effective to get you going.

Cold shower: Not the most pleasant of ideas, but it’s no secret that a sharp cold shower is an effective way to make yourself nice and alert.

There’s no shame if you love your morning brew, or even choosing a latte on the menu rather than a pot of tea. 

Coffee is just like everything else in life, it is all okay in moderation.

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...