Members of the University and Colleges Union (UCU) at the University of Sheffield will strike in December over pensions, pay and working conditions.

Staff will walk out between 1 and 3 December after Sheffield staff voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action in two ballots earlier in the month.

The UCU has said the three days were the start of “sustained disruption” if its demands were not met and it will “escalate it’s disputes next term”.

UCU members have gone on strike every year since 2018 over pay and conditions. There was a 14-day strike in 2020 over pension cuts.

The Union is demanding pension cuts be revoked and improved pay offers be put forward by employers.

Further to the three-day strike, University of Sheffield staff voted to take action short of strikes. 

Starting on 1 December, staff will work strictly to their contracts and refuse any additional duties.

Acknowledging the results of the ballots earlier in the month, Sheffield SU President, Evie Croxford, said in a statement: “We know that the strikes will cause major disruption to some students’ learning, while also acknowledging that academic staff’s working conditions are our learning conditions and need to improve.”

The statement urged the UCU and Universities to come together to negotiate and avert any disruption for students.

Universities UK said they will “ensure students can continue to learn”.

The University and Colleges Employers Association called the strikes an “unrealistic attempt” to bring universities back to the negotiating table on pay.