Sheffield Wednesday draw 1-1 against Gillingham FC

Wednesday’s unbeaten run was challenged by a solid Gillingham side on Saturday as the Owl’s pulled a goal deficit back in the latter stages of the second half to draw 1-1.

Darren Moore made nine changes from his side’s 4-0 victory over Harrogate on Tuesday as injuries continue to prevent the Owl’s from fielding their best side. Lee Gregory was unexpectedly missing after suffering a calf injury before the match.

Following a minute’s remembrance silence Wednesday kicked off, with both teams showing equal intensity in a fast start.

The Owl’s enjoyed more possession early on with a number of half-chances and a shot from Florian Kamberi saved by Gillingham’s Jamie Cumming. Callum Paterson had the first serious shot of the half, sending the ball ricocheting against the left post.

However, the Gills managed to one-up the hosts completely against the grain of play as striker Vadaine Oliver, formerly on Wednesday’s books although never making a first-team appearance, slotted one into the bottom right-hand corner in the 22nd minute after being given way too much room by Wednesday’s defenders.

Theo Corbeanu was the dangerman throughout the first half for Wednesday, finding space on the right flank and forcing Cumming to make a diving save as half-time approached.

Despite the 0-1 scoreline at halftime, Wednesday had enjoyed two-thirds of the possession with a flurry of late attacks, but the Gill’s defence was solid much to the home fan’s displeasure.

The start to the second half was fairly laid back from both teams, the crowd grew increasingly vocal as Gillingham looked to slow the game down and break any momentum Wednesday managed to gain. Corbeanu continued to create chances and skied a header way over the bar as the Owl’s attacked early on.

There should have been a goal again for Theo Corbeanu in the 64th minute but he managed to push the shot wide of the open goal. Wednesday looked the far more dangerous side in the second half and their persistence was eventually rewarded in the 74th minute as captain Barry Bannan’s shot deflected off the keeper for Florian Kamberi to slot in.

The equaliser energised both the Wednesday players and the fans as the Owl’s looked for the winner, creating several chances in quick succession that nearly came off. However, the visitors looked content in taking a point out of the fixture as they continued to slow the game down and repel the home side’s attacks.

In the end, the hosts ran out of time, and whilst they extended their unbeaten run across all competitions to 10 matches, they will be disappointed they were not able to score three points against a side who came into the fixture ranked 18th in the League.

Darren Moore said as much after the match, branding the game a “nearly performance” and saying he was “bitterly disappointed” to come off the pitch with a draw in a game in which his team dominated the match statistics.

Wednesday will travel to Plymouth next Tuesday for an FA Cup first-round replay.

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith; Palmer; Shodipo (Sow 83’); Bannan; Paterson; Dele-Bashiru (Adeniran 90’); Johnson; Kamberi; Dunkley; Corbeanu; Wing (Berahino 61’). 

Subs not used: Render; Brown; Luongo; Brennan.

Gillingham: Cumming; Jackson; O’Keefe; Ehmer; Tucker; Dempsey (Reeves 74’); Akinde; Lloyd; Oliver (Sithole’); Phillips; Akehurst (Adshead 71’).

Subs not used: Chapman, Lintott.

Goals:
Gillingham: Oliver 22’
Sheffield Wednesday: Kamberi 75’

Bookings:
Sheffield Wednesday: Johnson (81’)
Gillingham: Phillips (30’); Akinde (90’+6’)

HT: 0-1
FT: 1-1

Referee: John Busby

Attendance: 20, 593

🔴 Sheffield Eagles v York Knights: LIVE updates from the RFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from the OLP Stadium as Sheffield Eagles host York Knights in the RFL Championship.

SUTCo & SUPAS open auditions for upcoming shows

The groups have announced audition details for all five of their upcoming productions

Exhibition Review: Examining the Eye

A creative exploration of how we see the world that can occasionally become lost in the miasma of medical jargon

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...