Windass completes Wednesday comeback against MK Dons

Super substitute Josh Windass returned from injury to assist a goal and score a stoppage time winner, rounding off a second- half turnaround for Darren Moore’s side against MK Dons on Tuesday evening.

The Owls soared to fifth place in League One with a 2-1 victory, reacting well to come back after a goal of the season contender, which gave The Dons the lead just after half- time.

There was nothing to separate the two teams at the break, but it was a highly entertaining 0-0 at that stage, as both enjoyed good spells of possession and some decent chances.

Defender Chey Dunkley was Wednesday’s main threat, always lurking and winning headers on almost every set piece. It was him who nearly broke the deadlock before half time, but his header was blocked just a yard or so away from goal.

Scott Twine had arguably the best of the opportunities in the early stages, as he ran through on goal for the visitors, but his effort was fired well over the bar. He more than made up for it, as he struck gold straight after the break.

Just two minutes into the second half, the travelling Dons supporters were treated to an absolute rocket – a potential goal of the season. Scott Twine fired in a wonder strike from around 25 yards to hand the away side the lead.

At this stage, you couldn’t help but feel this might not be Wednesday’s day, but momentum soon switched in their favour after the goal as Darren Moore’s men were fired up.

Thereafter the hosts dominated proceedings, and complacency soon set in for MK Dons. At the hour mark, central defender Warren O’Hora collided with goalkeeper, Andrew Fisher, and Jack Hunt was given a golden opportunity as he latched onto the loose ball which had cannoned off the pair.

He ran through for an open goal, but he hesitated, and a tight angle formed, causing his effort to rebound off the post. The away team were given a real wake-up call, but to no avail, as Wednesday continued to pile on the pressure.

And then – finally – the breakthrough. In the 83rd minute, the Owls gained an equaliser through Lee Gregory as he floated a header across into the goal. It came from their 14th, yes fourteenth, corner of the game – a great relief to the Hillsborough faithful.

But their charge didn’t stop there. Cross after cross came in, and with Dons legs tiring all the more, a winner was inevitable.

Josh Windass, who had taken the corner which led to Gregory’s goal, sent Owls fans into raptures in added time as he latched onto a Theo Corbeanu cross, firing low and hard into the bottom corner.

Celebrations continued well beyond the final whistle as fans knew the victory, which could well be season-defining, meant Wednesday had leapfrogged MK Dons and moved into 5th place.

They’re now unbeaten at home in the last seven games in all competitions. They’ll look to continue this purple patch against Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell (GK), Brennan, Dunkley, Palmer, Hunt, Byers (Luongo 55’), Bannan (c), Dele-Bashiru (Berahino 72’), Corbeanu, Gregory, Kamberi (Windass 54’). Unused substitutes: Wildsmith (GK), Brown, Wing, Shodipo.

MK Dons: Fisher (GK), Baldwin (Darling 77’), O’Hora, Lewington, Kioso, O’Riley, Kasumu, Harvie, Boateng (McEachran 84’), Watters (Eisa 72’), Twine. Unused substitutes: Ravizzoli (GK), Ilunga, Brown, Jules.

Referee: Robert Madley.

Goals: Sheffield Wednesday: Gregory (83’), Windass (90+3’).

MK Dons: Twine (47’).

Bookings: Sheffield Wednesday: Palmer (5’).

MK Dons: Baldwin (2’), Kioso (90+1’).

Attendance: 18,581

Man of the Match: Josh Windass.

Sheffield Wednesday shock league-leaders West Brom in five-goal thriller

Goals from Marvin Johnson, Josh Windass and Anthony Musaba clinched Sheffield Wednesday ’s first league win since the opening day against the league leaders West Bromwich Albion.

🔴 Sheffield Wednesday vs West Brom: LIVE updates from the EFL Championship

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

University of Sheffield researchers make ground-breaking prostate cancer advancement

Researchers from the University of Sheffield are the first to discover a new form of immunotherapy for prostate cancer.

In Memoriam: Dame Maggie Smith

As the world mourns the passing of the legendary actress, we look back at her illustrious stage career

Sheffield Theatres Review: Dizzy

"Reading the Quran to the tune of Bob the Builder" & other comedic quips mark the latest production from Sheffield Theatres teams!

Sheffield Theatres Review: A Doll’s House

Ibsen's classic is a pleasant surprise, with Siena Kelly a standout performance in a standout show

Science and tech societies to dive into this academic year

With another fresher’s week comes plenty of opportunity to dive into societies and try something new. There are a wide variety of societies for...