Live Review: JAWS @ The Foundry

I first saw JAWS at the Sunflower Lounge in Birmingham in 2017. If you’re not familiar with the Sunflower Lounge, it is an absolutely tiny venue, probably the size of two of the Information Commons’ study rooms. But JAWS made it feel like a packed arena. Their intensity was matched by the crowd’s love for one of their own, for fellow Brummies doing well.

Never did I think JAWS would top that gig, especially not in a Student Union 90 miles from the centre of Brum, but I was, thankfully, very wrong. 

The support act for JAWS was Joey Maxwell, a young indie pop singer based in London. Blending the music of Loyle Carner and Easy Life, with a smattering of The Streets thrown in, Maxwell was an excellent support act. He perfectly matched the general atmosphere of the gig, whilst not being an exact carbon-copy of the headliners. His interaction with the audience helped avoid the typical awkwardness many opening acts face, inviting them closer to the stage and getting them involved with the songs. It was a really great performance, with the songs ‘Carrie’ and ‘Streetlights’ being particular highlights.

At 9:30, after the crowd has appropriately swelled, the lights are turned off. Suddenly, Tony Iommi’s screeching guitar riff from Black Sabbath’s ‘Iron Man’ blared out of the speakers, announcing the band in true Brummie fashion.

JAWS have come out of the lockdown clearly not having lost any of their musical ability. They immediately launched into a blistering performance of fan-favourite ‘Gold’, a song typically reserved for the encore. Coming straight out the doors with ‘Gold’ proved JAWS weren’t here to mess around, and the rest of the set gave the same impression. Playing a mix of songs from all three of their albums, it was like a “Greatest Hits” tour without that slight air of desperation, JAWS gave one of the best post-covid performances I have seen so far. 

Remaining slightly reserved in terms of crowd interaction, JAWS were clearly there to perform, chatting to the crowd only slightly. This isn’t to say the bad were boring. Bassist Leon Smith’s funky dancing and Sheffield Artois top, and drummer Eddy Geach’s passionate drumming really established an intense atmosphere for the gig. The crowd had no choice but to properly throw themselves into each song, especially ‘Right In Front Of Me’ and ‘Stay In’. 

After their final song, ‘Donut’, had finished playing out, the guitar reverb still faintly resonating, lead singer Connor Schofield gives a final “thank you”. 

And with that, the band are gone. And I can’t help but feel like a proud mum, having watched a band I have followed for so long give one of their best performances in what, for them, is just a normal gig. That, for me, is the hallmark of a truly great band, and JAWS are definitely that. Truly great.

Rating: 5/5

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...