Is Sheffield Students’ Union doing enough to combat the spiking crisis?

TW: discussion of spiking incidents

In recent months, there has been a dramatic increase in spiking cases across the country and Sheffield has been no exception. Spiking has been on the rise in Sheffield since bars and clubs were able to reopen at full capacity back in July, but has escalated significantly since students returned, Unsurprisingly, this has led to calls for Sheffield Students’ Union to address and tackle these issues. In response to boycotts and protests, the SU released an update of what they’re doing to combat the spiking crisis. But is it enough?

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you will likely have had your social media feed bombarded with horror stories of spiking incidents and various infographics on ‘What you can do to stay safe in clubs’. There’s been uproar and people sharing story after story because we just don’t know what to do. No matter how many sparkly infographics you read on Instagram, it really comes down to really bad luck who’s affected and it’s nobody’s fault. Students are scared. Clubbing and drinking culture is a huge part of student life but now people are petrified and feel unsafe, even in their own Student’s Union. We’re made to feel helpless, is there anything we can do to make our nights out feel safer again?

There have been various petitions circulating: calling for extra security measures like searches on the door to nightclubs, or to raise these issues to Parliament. A nationwide club boycott was organised for Wednesday 27 October 2021, called “Girls Night In”. All of these actions are attempts to catch the attention of nightclubs and using our power as a consumer, our money, to show what’s important to us. 

Sheffield Students’ Union cancelled Roar on the 27 October, in solidarity with Girls Night In, promising to use the time to reflect upon the alleged incidents in recent weeks and to plan a strategy to tackle the issue. Standing in solidarity with the Girls Night In boycott was essential for the Foundry to win any trust back from their students. The SU are competing with every other club in Sheffield, all of whom can quickly make back their losses from one night boycott, so they needed to be clear on their stance regarding the incidents immediately.

A few days later, an action plan was released, emphasising the Student’s Union’s zero-tolerance policy towards spiking and reinforcing safety as a top priority. This includes a series of both preventative measures, such as drinks covers and trained security/sniffer dogs, as well as measures put in place to assist with incidents, on the night and later. There are many CCTV cameras around the venue to try and deter attackers as well as identify them after the event to pass on their details to the police.

Reassurance was provided to students through measures such as the Time Out Zone/Quiet Room and reemphasis of the Safe Taxi Scheme, measures which previously existed but weren’t necessarily made clear they were available. Perhaps the most important thing in this action plan is reemphasising their support for those affected, summarised into a single line: “If you report spiking you will be believed and supported”. These events are incredibly traumatic and many people fear reporting such incidents in case they are blamed or there’s nothing that can be done. 

However, while the SU may do all they can to try and minimise spiking incidents and identify alleged perpetrators, the action plan brushes over their limited power. Furthermore, the majority of these measures were already in place prior to the current spiking crisis. They’ve taken steps by recognising that there is a problem and highlighting important tools students can use but is this enough? Unfortunately, the difficulties with dealing with spiking cases is that they’re hard to catch and even harder to deal with as an institution. 

Drink spiking is a criminal offence so is primarily dealt with by the police. Institutions like clubs and bars are crucial in passing on information to the police or providing evidence but aside from that all they can do is give a lifetime ban to the offender and support victims. As upsetting and frustrating as it is for members of the public and club owners, there’s little that can be done. Providing support for people in clubs and any victims is of the utmost importance, encouraging drink covers and safe spaces, alongside attempts to deter potential offenders.

Drinking spiking is a problem that unfortunately extends far beyond the Student’s Union. It’s a society-wide problem that can’t just be fixed by the SU alone. So no, the SU’s action plan probably isn’t enough to tackle the spiking problems but they are doing all they can do at the moment. They’re making changes and showing solidarity for their students in this scary time. Spiking and attitudes surrounding drinking as a whole need to be addressed as a society. Action and support from nightlife venues is a necessary step in the right direction and we can only hope the rest of society will soon follow suit.

If you have been or think you may have been a victim of spiking, please seek support:

Victim Support are a charity offering support to victims of crime and traumatic incidents.

SAMHS offer mental health support to University of Sheffield students.

You can report or discuss incidents that took place in the Student’s Union at [email protected]

Liberty Belle reveal Forge Arts & Theatre Editor on 2024/25 Committee

Editor Jasmine Pegg joins former Arts & Theatre Editor Faith Suronku-Lindsay & a team of ten other students leading this year's magazine

Sheffield United Women disappoint in defeat to Bristol City

Sheffield United slipped to a seventh consecutive league defeat after being outclassed by Bristol City at Bramall Lane.

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history