Sheffield Steelers secured their fourth win on Saturday, beating Coventry Blaze, who are currently seventh in the Elite Ice Hockey League.

The crowd at the Utilita Arena was buzzing as they watched the home side put in a solid performance to go five points clear at the top of the table.

On his return to the squad, Steelers goalkeeper, Barry Brust, had his arm-holding skills put to the test, with the Blaze having the better first period.

Despite this initial challenge and a period full of penalties from both sides, the score remained 0-0 at 20.00.

The Steelers stepped up another level in the second period, and the home side finally made their breakthrough goal at 38.02.

Assisted by Kevin Schulze and Robert Dowd, Marc-Oliver Vallerand put a shot past goalkeeper C.J. Motte in an effort that ensured the Steelers took a one-goal lead into the start of the third period.

A minute and a half into the final period, the Steelers extended their advantage to two goals, with John Armstrong and Evan Mosey teaming up to fire the puck into the net.

Vallerand scored his second goal of the match, at 47.49, taking advantage of an open net to all but seal the deal for the Steelers.

Coventry Blaze grew increasingly frustrated throughout the third period as Brust continued to deny their chances.

However, the Steelers goalkeeper was finally beaten with 57.05 on the clock as Dillon Eichstadt took advantage of the goalie being down on the ice, and Alex Marsh picked up an assist.

All in all, it was a solid performance from the Steelers once they warmed into the game, and Brust picked up a well-deserved Man of the Match award.

The Steelers will look to maintain their gap at the top of the table in their return match against Coventry at the Skydome before a trip to Belfast next weekend.