Barry Bannan penalty secures Wednesday victory over high-flying Wigan

A second half penalty from Sheffield Wednesday captain Barry Bannan was enough to seal three points for the Owls at Hillsborough as visitors Wigan suffered their first league defeat in twelve matches.

It was the away side who first came close to breaking the deadlock in a closely contested and open first half, with Wigan midfielder Tom Naylor missing a gilt-edged chance early on as he scuffed a right foot volley wide of the target from around ten yards out.

On two separate occasions in the opening period the Wednesday faithful appeared certain their side had scored. On-loan defender Jordan Storey went agonisingly close with a header from a corner which rippled the side netting, before Florian Kamberi was unfortunately unable to divert Marvin Johnson’s saved shot on target from close range.

There were more premature celebrations in the ground when Josh Magennis had the ball in the back of the net for Wigan, only for the goal to be disallowed for offside by the linesman.

This close call for the Latics capped off an entertaining first half, with both sides likely to be going into their respective dressing rooms wondering how the match remained goalless.

At the start of the second half it was the home side who came out of the traps flying, with Wednesday looking determined to get their noses in front.

It did not take long for their early pressure in the second period to pay off, with inspirational skipper Barry Bannan coolly slotting home a penalty in the 53rd minute after Australia international Massimo Luongo was tripped inside the box.

From this point onwards, the Owls did not look back, as they asserted control of proceedings as Wigan toiled to create the kind of chances which they had spurned in the first half.

Indeed, it was Wednesday who looked more likely to double their lead; Jordan Storey again coming close from a set piece and Callum Paterson’s speculative long range effort not far away from Ben Amos’ goal.

In the end, the home side were more than worthy of their victory on the back of their second half dominance. As Wigan succumbed to their first loss in the league since October, Wednesday’s fourth successive victory will have their sights firmly set on promotion as the business end of the season begins to loom.

Sheffield Wednesday (3-5-2): Peacock-Farrell, Storey, Hutchinson, Palmer, Hunt, Luongo, Byers, Bannan (Brennan 90+6’), Johnson, Paterson, Kamberi (Mendez-Laing 76’). Unused subs: Brown, Berahino, Waldock, Wildsmith, Sow.

Booked: Bannan 21’, Paterson 76’.

Wigan Athletic (4-2-3-1): Amos, Power, Whatmough, Tilt, Darikwa (Massey 77’), Naylor, Shinnie (Kerr 69’), Lang, McGrath (Humphrys 69’), McClean, Magennis. Unused subs: Jones, Watts, Bayliss, Rea.

Booked: Power 71’

Man of the Match: Barry Bannan

Referee: Tim Robinson

Attendance: 20,210