University of Sheffield is ranked one of the world’s most international universities

The University of Sheffield has been named one of the most international universities in the world by  Times Higher Education

The university ranked 14th in the UK and 48th worldwide in the highly regarded league table, which combines global university rankings, international student score, staff score, co-authorship score and reputation metrics into it’s rankings.

This table celebrates universities with an outstanding international reputation, and this is the third year that the university has ranked in the top 50 worldwide.

The University of Sheffield has strong overseas partnerships in industry, which provides opportunities for staff and student exchange, as well as research links and inward investment.

The university is also involved in numerous research projects which have an international impact and has research partnerships with other leading universities across the globe, such as the University of Western Australia and Nanjing University.

Professor Koen Lamberts, president and vice-chancellor of the university, has said: “At Sheffield, we put internationalism at the heart of everything we do, and we are proud to be a global university.

“We welcome students and staff from more than 150 countries, who make a significant contribution to the vibrancy of our campus and city, and our researchers work with partners across the world to find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing society today.

“I am delighted that the University of Sheffield has been recognised by Times Higher Education for its global outlook and strong international reputation.”

The University of Sheffield’s four flagship institutes, Energy, Neuroscience, Healthy Lifespan and Sustainable Food, have been advancing and accelerating research to tackle the world’s biggest problems.

This includes the Energy Institute’s work in finding low-carbon solutions to the world’s energy challenges, and the Institute for Sustainable Food’s work with Syrian refugees to develop a way to grow food in discarded mattresses.

In addition to all the university’s international work, it also has a great international community at its heart in Sheffield.

A third-year international student, Rahul Warrier, said: “It’s great that we’ve been named one of the most international universities in the world.

“Moving to a new country is daunting so it provides some comfort that we won’t be alone in a foreign land, especially during the stressful years of university.” 

Another third year international student, Michelle Almeida, said: “​​Honestly, I’m not shocked that the university has been named the most international universities in the world. 

“Anywhere you go in the campus you’ll meet an international student and that is really comforting to know that there are international students who probably experience the same adjustments, challenges, and positive aspects as well. 

“It can be such a massive culture shock when you move from your home into a foreign country and adapt to a whole new set of rules, practises, people etc; So I’m glad to be a part of a university that is recognised for their international student bracket.”

Liberty Belle reveal Forge Arts & Theatre Editor on 2024/25 Committee

Editor Jasmine Pegg joins former Arts & Theatre Editor Faith Suronku-Lindsay & a team of ten other students leading this year's magazine

Sheffield United Women disappoint in defeat to Bristol City

Sheffield United slipped to a seventh consecutive league defeat after being outclassed by Bristol City at Bramall Lane.

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history