SU ELECTIONS: Mature Students’ Officer

Freya Vanevery has been elected as the Mature Students’ Part-Time Officer in a landslide victory.

They will take over from Tom Hill after he finishes his term at the end of June this year.

Vanevery secured their spot with 777 votes meeting the 699.5 vote threshold after only one round. Marcus Young came second with 321 votes – a 456 difference between first and second place.

At the stage, Vanevery said: “I’m really grateful. I’ve had so many people help me with this campaign. I’m in the department for lifelong learning and I just really appreciate all of my friends who have helped me with this and for everyone I know coming out and voting for me.”

Vanevery’s slogan ‘Make Every Student Matter’ is central to her manifesto, where she pledges to increase prioritisation of mature students.

Their main three key aims are (1) creating a space and community with running events catered towards mature students, (2) lobbying university management to widen admissions criteria for mature students and (3) improve support for disabled mature students alongside Disabled Students Officer

Aims to introduce specialised classes and implement community spaces were common among all the candidates’ manifestos.

They previously stood as the Department for Lifelong Learning Councillor and an Academic Representative. In these roles, they fought for increased accessibility of coursework and contributed to SU policy implementation.

During the 2022 SU Election period, they campaigned as part of the Solidarity candidate slate, alongside Ash Taylor, Charlie Thomas, Alexandra Hulme and Jo Faire.

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.