Berahino dons hat as Wednesday put six past Cambridge

Saido Berahino scored a hat-trick as Sheffield Wednesday beat Cambridge United 6-0 in an impressive one-sided display at Hillsborough.

The Owls made two changes after their loss to Lincoln last Saturday with Lewis Gibson coming in for Liam Palmer and Lee Gregory returning from injury to play for the side for the first time since January.

Wednesday took the lead early after Cambridge’s Lloyd Jones clumsily intercepted a cross from Gregory and pushed the ball into his own net, putting the Owls 1-0 up in the sixth minute.

Captain Barry Bannan followed up minutes later with a scintillating strike from outside the box, past Dimitar Mitov’s outstretched left hand and into the top left-hand corner of the goal, drawing roars from the Hillsborough crowd.

Wednesday dominated the opening phases of the first half creating multiple chances on goal and hoarding possession while Cambridge struggled to settle into the rhythm of play.

Berahino’s shot ricocheted off the post in the 29th minute coming close to trickling into the goal before Mitov dove on top of the ball. He wouldn’t have to wait long for a second chance though, firing one past the United goalkeeper, who just got his right hand to it before it deflected into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

One brought two for the striker as he scored his second two minutes later, taking advantage of a deflection from Mitov, giving Wednesday a 4-0 advantage going into half time having absolutely dominated proceedings.

The Owls continued where they left off after the break as George Byers took advantage of a good pass in the box from Berahino to put the side 5 goals clear in the 48th minute.

Berahino completed his hat-trick in the 54th minute, launching off his right foot and beating Mitov yet again as Hillsborough erupted in cheers for the striker.

Cambridge looked to have resigned themselves to the result and rarely threatened apart from a good strike from Harvey Knibbs in the 83rd minute which was well saved by Bailey Peacock-Farrell.

When the full-time whistle blew the home crowd rose to give their side a well-deserved round of applause. Darren Moore’s side should be full of confidence after such a dominant performance going into their fixture against Accrington Stanley on Tuesday at Hillsborough as they look to secure a place in the play-offs.

Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell; Storey, Hutchinson (Iorfa 58’), Gibson; Hunt, Byers, Luongo (Brennan 90’), Bannan, Johnson; Berahino (Sow 72’), Gregory (Kamberu 58’). Unused subs: Wildsmith, Palmer, Dele-Bashiru, Paterson.

Cambridge United: Mitov; Williams, Sherring (Okedina 63’), Jones, Dunk; May (O’Neil 45’), Digby; Smith, Hoolahan (Knibbs 45’), Brophy; Ironside. Unused subs: Mannion; Lankester, Tracey, Tolaj.

Bookings: None

Goals: Sheffield Wednesday: Jones (o.g.) 6’, Bannan 10’, Berahino 37’, 41’, 54’, Byers 48’.

Attendance: 22,646

Referee: Seb Stockbridge

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...