Should students back the strikes?

In recent weeks, many students at the University of Sheffield have been impacted by the ongoing faculty strike action (industrial action) meant to address several concerns in the higher education sector. This mostly takes the form of canceled lectures, seminars, or inability to access the buildings needed to complete university work because of occupation by strikers. The strikes are part of disputes between the University and College Union (UCU) and Universities UK (UUK) at a national level. This creates a question about students’ role in the cause. Given the possible negative impact strikes have had on education, should students back the strikes?

Over the last decade, university staff across the U.K. have experienced pay cuts in real terms, job insecurity due to casual contracts, heavy workloads, and pay discrimination against women, ethinic minorities, and the disabled. Another problem cited by the UCU is changes to the pension scheme that results in pension cuts of up to 35%. Since 2018, a series of connected strikes have been voted on by UCU members as last resort action to address these issues.   

The University of Sheffield as an institution takes the stance that they alone cannot resolve disputes since they take place on a national level. However, the University provides an opinion on the UUK’s pension package, stating that it is “considered the least worst option available to us.” In response to the other disputes, the University also lists several ways it aims to improve its working environment, including plans to decrease the pay gap, implement anti-racism action, and provide mental health support for staff. 

Students may feel differing levels of support for the strikes depending on how impacted they are. Some academic departments participate completely in the strikes, while others do not. When asked about how she has been affected by the strikes, philosophy student Lucie Provins said, “I missed out on so many lectures that I will get assessed on in all my modules. I’ve had no guidance, no PowerPoints, so I’d say I’ve been very significantly impacted.” Provins also cites concerns about the negative educational and mental health impact of strikes on a generation of students who have “already been damaged by Covid.” Additionally, there are students who make heavy financial sacrifices to attend university and international students who often pay more. These students may feel strongly about the financial loss of missed class time. 

If you feel adversely impacted by the strikes, it might feel counterintuitive to support them. However, it is important for the basic welfare of our staff and their families to receive fair pay and treatment. These strikes are meant to address inequality, not just paychecks. In addition, it impacts the quality of education students receive when lecturers are overworked and underpaid. Strikes are a last resort option and faculty do not want to have to strike. Feeling frustrated about the impact strikes have on the student experience is consistent with supporting your educators in the fight for higher quality education as a whole. 

Some students feel that there are ways of taking action that do not involve direct impact on students. One can support the cause but not the methods. However, calls for change are more impactful with the voices of students since they are the ones supporting and being served by the universities. Without direct impact to students, it is not as likely that they would pay attention to the needs of the faculty. The strikes are meant to be disruptive, and supporting the strikes has the long-term goal of making sure they do not have to happen again. 

Backing the strikes as a student can take several forms. It means not crossing picket lines where buildings are occupied, emailing the Vice-Chancellor and the UUK to put pressure on the University, and signing student petitions. Some students at the University of Sheffield even occupied multiple buildings themselves in solidarity with the UCU and to protest the closure of the archaeology department. On the other hand, it is also important to not judge fellow students who have reasons for not taking action or who hold different opinions. 

Another point is that students have varying levels of understanding of the history of the strikes and the demands of the UCU. Doing basic research on the strikes is important given the widespread impact issues in higher education have on staff, students, and institutions as a whole. The University and Sheffield Students’ Union provide updates and information about the strikes, as well as mental health and academic support. At a minimum, forming an opinion on these national issues is important to pushing the conversation forward. By supporting your faculty in striking, you can be a part of creating better quality higher education systems for all involved.  

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...