Empathic win for Owls in crucial game for playoff race

Sheffield Wednesday climbed into the League 1 playoff spots after an emphatic 4-1 win over a plucky Cheltenham Town in an entertaining clash at Hillsborough.

It was a frantic opening to the game with two goals scored in seven minutes and it was Michael Duff’s side who struck first through their top scorer Alfie May.

The dangerous frontman was found by Elliott Bonds on the right and drove into the Wednesday box before firing an effort past Bailey Peacock-Farrell via a slight deflection from Wednesday’s Jordan Storey.

The Owls responded almost immediately, courtesy of a Barry Bannan corner on his 300th appearance for the club. The visitor’s defence failed to clear their lines from the Scotsman’s delivery with the ball eventually falling to Massimo Luongo, who produced an exceptional overhead kick into the far corner past Owen Evans.

Mendez-Laing went close to connecting with Lee Gregory’s cross before a moment of brilliance by Bannan presented Marvin Johnson with an opportunity to put the Owls in front.

Johnson’s low effort from a Bannan free-kick was pawed away by Evans before the Robins hoisted the ball clear.

As half-time approached, Cheltenham became increasingly wasteful in possession and were nearly punished by Gregory. The striker, making only his second start for the Owls since January, couldn’t quite connect with Johnson’s cross as Evans claimed a comfortable effort.

The first chance of the second period fell to the Owls as George Byers headed over from a Mendez-Laing corner and sustained a nasty cut to his head in the process.

Wednesday continued to grow into the contest and were rewarded for their efforts just before the hour mark.

Gregory found some space 25 yards out from goal following a Cheltenham clearance and the former Millwall man fired a fantastic volley into the bottom left corner past a despairing Evans.

The visitors responded with a big chance of their own after a surging run forward by Ellis Chapman who found May. Rather than go for goal the striker selflessly laid the ball off for substitute George Lloyd who was denied by strong-standing Peacock-Farrell.

Cheltenham continued to push and May found Bonds on the edge of the area where he unleashed a wicked effort which rattled Peacock-Farrell’s upright. The Owls then countered and went agonisingly close to stretching their lead.

Jack Hunt found Gregory in the area unmarked, but he was unable to sort his feet and Cheltenham managed to clear the ball just as Byers was steaming onto the loose ball.

The Owls defending gave the home support cause for concern, but centre-back Harlee Dean did well to produce a sliding block to prevent May from testing Peacock-Farrell.

But on the 85th minute, the home fans were soon at ease after Johnson’s deep cross from the left was met by a wonderful volley from Hunt which left Evans with no chance in the Robins’ goal.

It was Byers who put the icing on the cake with his second goal in four matches as he kept his cool to curl the ball past the goalkeeper.

Sheffield Wednesday: Peacock-Farrell, Hunt, Storey (Iorfa 82’), Dean, Hutchinson, Johnson, Byers, Luongo, Bannan, Mendez-Laing (Sow 64’), Gregory (Paterson 89’).

Cheltenham Town: Evans, Raglan (Sercombe 74’), Pollock, Boyle, Blair (Lloyd 60’), Long, Hutchinson, Bonds, Wright, Chapman (Etete 77’), May.

Bookings: Sheffield Wednesday: Gregory 81’. Cheltenham: Boyle 34’, Wright 57’, Raglan 64’.

Goals: Sheffield Wednesday: Luongo 7’, Gregory 58’, Hunt 85’, Byers 88’. Cheltenham: May 4’.

Attendance: 21,925

Referee: Leigh Doughty