New campaign seeks to unite societies in anti-war declaration

A campaign, ‘Together Against Wars’, has been launched to band together as many societies at the University of Sheffield as possible to create a video in an open declaration against war and to raise funds.

The campaign was began by International Business Management student Elitsa Georgieva, and features Michael Jackson’s ‘We are the World’, covered by singers from the Music Players Society.

Now, Elitsa and the Film-Making Society are looking for as many societies as possible to submit “memorable and compassionate” footage to create a video that will accompany the song.

Elitsa said: “I came up with the idea because I am sick of reading about people dying due to wars and beautiful places being bombed in the 21st century.

“We, the young generations, don’t want wars. We want to travel and get inspiration from one another, and I have always believed we can unite and say no.

“The University of Sheffield is our beautiful, international home that proves diversity works and we don’t have to fight each other. I want to represent that and use it to raise money but also remind people that they have the power to say no and they need to have compassion for one another.”

Once the video is created, the campaign can be registered as a volunteering project and start raising funds for the charity the group hopes to support, War Child, a specialist charity for children affected by conflict.

The charity the funds will go to will be confirmed once an application is made with Raising and Giving, only possible after the video has been completed.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Sheffield RAG (@sheffieldrag)

Societies can join by letting the group film a 30-second video of them doing their various activities, for instance dance societies would curate a short performance, or otherwise submitting footage to the group, featuring elements of peace, unity, diversity, and anti-war awareness.

On top of this, the group want as many people as possible to join together for the final footage, to be filmed at the front of the Students’ Union on 8 May from 1pm to 4pm. The video will end by nominating other universities to do the same, in the hope of starting a trend.

Elitsa continued: “Societies should get involved because we cannot stand to watch our future get worse when it can become better. I don’t think anyone wants their children to grow up in war, and even though that sounds unlikely, the latest news shows otherwise. It’s in our best interest to unite.”

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Book Review: The Bee Sting ~ Paul Murray

I was convinced to buy The Bee Sting by a cashier at Waterstones. It had just been published in paperback at the beginning of...

General Election 2024: Sheffield Candidate Spotlights

Over the last few weeks, the Forge Press news team have been hard at work interviewing candidates, and offering them a chance to put...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.