On Wednesday (June 1st) the Sheffield Branch of the UCU met with the University in ‘constructive negotiations’ to discuss demands relating to the marking and assessment boycott.

This came as the University of Sheffield announced UCU members who were to take part in the planned marking boycott were to have 100% of their pay withheld until October.

The members of the UCU voted to accept the University’s proposals and end the marking and assessment boycott.

A representative from the Sheffield branch of the UCU commented on the ongoing industrial action prior to the discussions with the University, stating that they were “extremely disappointed [with] the response taken by our university management. This approach is aggressive, disproportionate, and irresponsible, and disregards the value of the large proportion of staff’s work which is not impacted by the current action.”

The strikes were predicted to affect students in their final year, delaying some graduations.

The discussions brought with them some good news for those members of the UCU that risked losing their pay to support the industrial action.

A representative from the University of Sheffield provided us with the following comment: “We are pleased that the marking boycott didn’t affect the majority of students and that the UCU members have committed to completing any outstanding marking and assessments. The university remains committed to working collaboratively to address the issues facing Universities”.

The University has agreed to the following, outlined in an email from the Vice Chancellor:

“Our accepted proposal to UCU colleagues includes a commitment to

• Invest at least £5 million per year in staff pay
  • Build on the joint work we have been doing to address issues around pay, workload and equality, and act as an exemplar for the sector in our employment practices
  • Continue to use our leverage at UUK and UCEA in relation to the annual pay negotiations and future discussions relating to USS
  • Not deduct pay from staff who complete outstanding marks and assessments”

This means that those who expected to lose their wage until October, now will expect full pay if they complete any outstanding marking.

People have taken to twitter following the announcement of this news, criticising the Union’s decision to accept the University’s offer.

The UCU tweeted the day following the negotiations: “our members have voted to accept the locally negotiated offer, and we will be withdrawing from the marking boycott”.

Elsewhere in the country, negotiations are still underway, and the Sheffield UCU tweeted in “solidarity with branches still engaged in the boycott”.

If you want to find out more about the UCU and why they are taking industrial action, please visit: Sheffield UCU | The recognised trade union for academic and related staff

Image Credits: UCU Website