Should the UK continue with no Covid-19 restrictions?

Since the beginning of 2022, Covid restrictions in the UK have been lifted domestically, including self-isolation rules and now travel restrictions. For instance, you are no longer required to provide a negative test when travelling from the US to the UK. It is fair to state that these policy changes reflect the British public’s and backbench parliamentarian’s changing attitudes to Covid-19 and how the country should approach it.

Before Christmas 2021, the government was considering introducing new Covid restrictions to combat the Omicron variant, but refrained because of opposition from 100 Conservative backbenchers. The backbenchers forced the government to refrain from introducing new Covid restrictions because they sensed the general public’s attitudes to Covid-19 had shifted. They recognised that after two years of continuous restrictions, the public felt that Covid-19, while still serious and fatal, would be with society indefinitely. People have decided they cannot afford to postpone their lives any longer, especially given the gravity of the sacrifices they have made and the economic damage they have endured due to restrictions.

This current attitude from the public is illustrated by the fact that the majority of people are no longer wearing masks in public places and hundreds of thousands – if not millions – are booking foreign holidays, despite the Office for National Statistics stating there are early signs of rising Covid infections in some parts of the UK. In July to September last year, UK residents made over 6 million visits abroad by air according to the ONS.

These general current attitudes towards Covid-19 are understandable and valid because of all the sacrifices and suffering people have had to endure over the last two years regarding employment, family, and mental health issues being exacerbated, especially with the given promise at the start that once the country had been double jabbed, restrictions would be lifted and people would be allowed to continue their lives. It is unreasonable for the government to move the goalposts and consider reinstating any restrictions given how people did get vaccinated, meaning it is right for the public to expect to carry on with their lives and for the government to keep their side of the bargain. Think from much of the public’s perspective after suspending their lives for two years – how much longer are people expected to not live their lives and follow social distancing rules due to airborne illnesses?

As mentioned previously, this is not to say that Covid is not still serious and fatal. There are still many infections, especially amongst the most vulnerable and over 50 population, and there are people suffering from long Covid. There have been suggestions for people, specifically the over 50s and people in the health and social care sector, to receive annual booster jabs to protect them from Covid-19.

It is reasonable to want to protect the most vulnerable in society and everybody should be encouraged to get their boosters. However, it should not be mandated for people to do so, nor should there be any new restrictions enforced. Furthermore, scientists should receive funding to research other coronaviruses and further examine the Covid-19 virus so they can create vaccines to combat future viruses and learn from this pandemic so this never happens again.

Given the last two years, it may shock people to go to central London and witness how packed it is with tourists both from Britain and abroad. On the other hand, what else can be expected after people spent so much time suspending their lives and not getting the opportunity to have life experiences? The heaving nature of London is a reflection of how people are ready to learn to live with Covid being in their lives indefinitely. While we should encourage people to get boosters and research should be conducted to prevent any further coronavirus outbreaks, we should not impinge on people’s lives any longer.

Image credits: Massimo Virgilio via Unsplash

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...