The best games for long distance couples and friends

Over the past few years, we have all become far too familiar spending time with loved ones via video calls. Yet, in the digital age, we are lucky to have access to technologies that connect us to family and friends remotely. 

Whether you are in a long-distance relationship or have online friends in different countries, there is now a wealth of ways to spend time together online. Although, there is only so much time you can spend watching Netflix together- so here are a few of my favourite two-player games to play online:

1: It Takes Two

It Takes Two follows the tale of an unhappily married couple who get turned into mini-dolls by a magic spell. The story embarks as the shrunken pair navigate their house, where they have to solve puzzles, battle animals, and work together to make their way back to their daughter Rose.

This action-adventure game is engaging throughout, one of my favourite things is that it includes elements that appeal to several different kinds of gamers, with an immersive story, adventure, battles, and hidden mini-games. From gangster squirrels to a hoover on a rampage, the game includes several levels of varying themes, each with a boss battle at the end. 

As someone who, if I’m honest, is not the best at video games, I found this to be accessible and fun without being easy or intimidatingly difficult . It’s the perfect middle ground for any gamer. It was even awarded Game of the Year at the Game Awards last year.

At £34.99, it isn’t cheap, but the good news is, only one of the two players needs to buy it. The other player can simply download the It Takes Two friends pass for free to access the game. If you’re someone who enjoys lighthearted adventure games, I would highly recommend It Takes Two.

2: Stardew Valley

This one may be slightly biased, as Stardew Valley has to be my favourite game of all time. With the wholesome story, aesthetic design, and bizarre characters, I’ve been hooked ever since I first downloaded it. I had been playing it for months before realising there was even a co-op option. 

The game is centred around a farmer who moves to a new town where they inherit their grandfather’s farm. You can spend your time farming, fishing, mining, or making friends in the town, which holds many secrets. There is an endless wealth of things to do. After over a hundred hours of playing, I am not even close to being bored.

Playing the co-op version only heightened the experience for me, as the parts I was perhaps not so good at (fighting monsters in the caves) could be done as a team of two. 

You can build a farm together, go on endless adventures and even get married. 

At only £10.99, this game is absolutely worth every penny, although if you are going to play the co-op version, both of you will have to purchase the game before you can play together.

3: A Way Out 

From the same developer as It Takes Two, Hazelight Studios, A Way Out is another cooperative adventure game that had me hooked at every step. It’s definitely more intense and serious than It Takes Two, but just as much fun. It follows a pair of prison inmates on a mission to escape. You can choose which character each of you will play as, and work together to escape prison and evade capture. 

The game is engaging, thrilling, and amusing. Although it takes a more serious tone, there are several mini games included to lighten up the gameplay.  If you enjoy engaging gameplay intertwined with a story full of twists, this game might just suit you. Similarly to It Takes Two, only one person will need to buy the game for £24.99.

4: Tick Tock: A Tale for Two

The best way to describe this game is short but sweet. With an average playtime of just 2.5 hours, I can assure that you will be left wanting more. In order to solve the mystery of this eerie town, players must describe what they see to each other and combine their information to complete the puzzles.

One thing that I love is the design, inspired by Scandinavian fairy tales, the entire thing is hand drawn. Although slightly creepy, the graphics are weirdly calming. Tick Tock: A Tale for Two is slightly different to the others on the list, as it is focused on communication rather than gaming skill. If you are an avid puzzler like myself, I really do recommend this game, which is also extremely affordable at only £4.99.

Festival of Debate Review: Human Flourishing – A Conceptual Analysis

You may have been told you or your skills are ‘flourishing’ by a lecturer, friend, teacher or even family member since being at university....

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...