Tramlines: The Sheffield Artists Taking The Stage

Despite the big names that will be performing in Hillsborough Park in a few weeks time, I think it is important not to forget the city which the eponymous tram lines run through. Sheffield has a fantastic music culture, so we’ve created a list of some of the best local artists playing at Tramlines this year.

Reverend and the Makers

Sheffield legends Reverend and the Makers are making a return to the Steel City this weekend, and are sure to deliver an incredible set. Reverend and the Makers are about as Sheffield as you can get, with frontman Jon McClure having practically mentored Alex Turner, as well as being a massive Sheffield Wednesday fan. Performing on the main stage at the festival will likely be as special for the band as it will be for the crowd (especially given the proximity to Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium!). Bringing a mixture of classic indie rock with some dance rhythm, the band are sure to bring an energetic and highly entertaining set.

When are they on?: Sunday from 16:30 to 17:15, on the Main Stage.

Reverend & The Makers (Photo Credit: Roger Sargent)

All Girls Arson Club

Channelling a punk attitude with a ramshackle pop sound, All Girls Arson Club are one of the more unique and impressive bands coming up today. The band, who reportedly came together after “a Lambrini-fuelled screening of Kathleen Hanna’s The Punk Singer“ coupled with “a growing frustration with the (over)abundance of boys in bands”, All Girls Arson Club should definitely be on your list of bands to see.

When are they on?: Friday from 16:15 to 16:45, on The Library Stage

SHEAFS

Sheffield’s own contribution to the new post-punk revival gripping the British indie landscape, SHEAFS, straight off the back of their new debut album, ‘A Happy Medium’, are one of the most exciting bands coming out of Sheffield today. Their energetic and atmospheric sound lends itself well to live performances, so be sure to catch the band, for whom we predict great things.

When are they on?: Saturday from 15:00 to 15:30, on T’Other Stage.

Self Esteem

Rebecca Lucy Taylor, better known by her stage name Self Esteem, has shot into popularity recently due to her second album, released last year, titled ‘Prioritise Pleasure’. Combining powerful lyrics with a fantastic and unabashedly ‘pop’ sound, Taylor will definitely provide a unique, yet still brilliant, live performance.

When are they on?: Saturday from 18:45 to 19:45, on T’Other Stage.

Anya Lace

Singer-songwriter Anya Lace seems to be going from strength to strength recently; after her first headline gig at Sidney&Matilda in May, she is playing her first Tramlines set this weekend. Beautiful lyrics, mixed with a powerful voice and subtle-yet-effective guitar, Anya Lace is definitely an up-and-coming act you can’t afford to miss this weekend.

When are they on?: Sunday from 12:30 to 13:00, on The Library Stage.

Anya Lace (Photo Credit: Mark Howe)

Otis Mensah

Sheffield’s very own Poet Laureate, Otis Mensah, combines poetry, jazz and alternative hip hop. A fantastic live performer, and probably the best, or at least most exciting, up-and-coming Sheffield musician, Mensah is a must-see this weekend. Coming off of the release of his newest album, ‘things I should have said a year ago’, Otis Mensah is sure to deliver a fantastic set.

When are they on?: Sunday from 14:30 to 15:00, on The Library Stage.

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...