Single Review: Femur – Janky

Leading up to the release of their long-awaited debut album ‘People Parts’, Forge-favourites Femur are releasing a new single, Janky, on Friday, 2nd September. We were given a sneak-peek at the song, and suffice to say we were blow away.

Featuring some incredibly dark and intense vocals, Janky is easily one of the most atmospheric songs I have listened too. The energy on display is almost malicious in it’s rawness, being so enthralling you can’t help but feel like you should be in an violent mosh pit. As always with Femur, the musical talent on display is beyond reproach, especially the guitar. The biting, aggressive riffs really create this feeling of pure chaos in the song. The song feels menacingly ethereal, which is certainly helped by the fantastic lyrics. Janky is a perfect blending of more contemporary post-punk and hard rock sensibilities with a psychedelic edge; almost a mix of Idles and early Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. As good as all their recent singles have been, I would say this is clearly the standout, and I am really excited for the new album.

Jarred Up, Femur’s record label, has this to say about the track:

JANKY starts with an unassuming passiveness, easing you into a false sense of security before delivering an inevitable dropkick we have come to expect from a classic Femur tune. Femur are currently preparing to take their renowned live show on the road with their biggest UK tour to date. Musically, JANKY is a force to be reckoned with, and embraces the nasty, disgusting elements of yourself that society tells you to suppress. From the first chord of the opening riff, you become enthralled to rip up the rule book and run into a stranger at the front of a Femur show.”

2nd September is a date that should definitely be marked in your calendars, because Janky will definitely be one of the best songs you’ve listened to this year.

‘Janky’ will be released next Friday, on 2nd September.

Femur’s debut album ‘People Parts’ will be released on 30th September.

Rating: 9/10

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...

Exploring the far-flung paradise of Palawan, Philippines

As midnight approached on the 31st of December, I boarded my second flight heading to the Philippines. Swapping my scarf and mittens for sunglasses...

Book Review: SAS Rogue Heroes ~ Ben Macintyre

The Second World War was a tragedy that led to many of the things the modern world has today, including the United Nations and...