Best gaming spots in Sheffield revealed

Sheffield can be a fantastic student city, with an unrivalled nightlife and a diverse musical tradition, However, the gaming culture is often an overlooked aspect. In fact, from gaming bars to the much-loved National Video Game Museum (NVM) Sheffield offers a handful of perfect gaming locations. Keep reading to discover your next favourite gaming spot in the “Steel City ”.

Meltdown Sheffield 

credit pexels photo by Alexander Kovalev

Sheffield has countless hidden gems and Meltdown deserves more recognition. Equipped with gaming computers, consoles and a unique cocktail and mocktail selection, no matter the occasion Meltdown will never disappoint you. Their must-try drinks include the “Nagini Martini” and the “Virgin Pink Mojito”. However, Meltdown is much more than a gaming bar. In fact, Meltdown often organises events including the unmissable emo and alternative music night   This Party sucks.

Sheffield Belong gaming arenas 

credit pexelsphoto by Yan Krukov

The Sheffield Belong gaming arena is quite a new addition but is quickly proving to be the next go-to destination for any serious gamer in the city. Indeed, the Belong arena (unlike Meltdown) is equipped with high-end gaming computers allowing one to play a broader range of video games alongside offering better quality. The pricing alone justifies a visit offering, either a solid £5 per hour or £20 for a monthly subscription. If you are a regular customer, getting a monthly subscription will save you a vast sum of money. The atmosphere is relaxed, and overall it’s a great place to go with friends as well as by yourself.

The National Video Game Museum(NVM)

credit pexels photo by Kevin Bidwell

Conveniently located within walking distance from both Belong and Meltdown, The NVM is another unmissable location. Given its nature, this museum offers a more interactive experience, as a result, the entry ticket costs £11, but this slightly elevated price is justified because both “The Arcade” and “TheLab” are two unique attractions. As suggested by the name “The Arcade” models itself on traditional gaming arcades, where a selection of both contemporary and retro games are available. “The Lab” offers a more creative approach because it is a space where you can unleash your creativity and create your very own video game. If you want to know more read  Tom Butt’s article “The National Videogame Museum: playing with history on the Forge game section on the website.

Fire Pit 

credit pexels photo by Max DeRoin

Given its location on West Street, Fire Pit remains an all-time favourite party destination. However, unlike neighbouring venues such as Tiger Works, Fire Pit provides several PS5 consoles, where Fifa is often a popular choice. Something to give your night out a twist!

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...