Review: Bugsy Malone

Brimming with talent, enthusiasm and character, Tuesday night’s performance of Bugsy Malone: The Musical truly brought the Lyceum to life.

The cast performed the show’s much loved song selection, including numbers such as ‘Bad Guys’ and ‘Fat Sam’s Grand Slam’, with both skill and vigour. For many members of the audience, who may have enjoyed the original film, this would have pure nostalgia. The young stars effortlessly captured the audience’s hearts with sparkling renditions of ‘I’m Feeling Fine’ (sung by Mia Lakha as Blousey) and ‘My Name is Tallulah’ (performed by Jasmine Sakyiama). Desmond Cole and Albie Snelson brought laugh out loud comedy to their roles of Dandy Dan and Fat Sam.

The set and special effects were particularly memorable. In the film version of Bugsy Malone, the pedal cars are one of the most iconic features. It was amazing to see them brought to life using clever strobe lighting.

The ensemble were outstanding, playing diverse roles, from Fat Sam’s dancers to boxers. Alongside the main cast, they acted, sang and performed a range of highly skilled dance routines which wowed the audience. Particularly enjoyable were ‘So You Wanna Be a Boxer?’ and ‘Down and Out’. Although in Act 2 the show was paused due to technical difficulties, the cast and crew were undeterred and resumed the show with as much zeal as before. 

Despite the fact the characters in ‘Bugsy Malone’ are only being shot with cream and pies, the final scene is nevertheless surprisingly poignant. When they all lie dead on stage it is a moving reminder that, in real life, pointless disagreements over status, land and power lead to equally pointless deaths. Even though the musical is mostly light-hearted, the line ‘we could have been anything that we wanted to be’ from ‘You Give a Little Love’, gives the scene a melancholic air.

At the close of the performance the cast received a much-deserved standing ovation. Even though Fat Sam’s gang claimed to be the ‘best at being bad’, they were certainly very good indeed!

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...