League leaders Sheffield United held to draw by Birmingham City

After four clean sheets in their last four games at home, Sheffield United’s streak was put to an end by Birmingham City as Deeny’s goal cancelled out McBurnie’s strike to bring the final score to 1-1.

29,927 fans were in attendance at Bramall Lane to watch the game between the league toppers Sheffield United and Birmingham City, who are now 15th in the league table following their draw with the Blades.

The close match between the two sides saw United get off to a bright start, controlling possession in the opposition’s half. A strong performance was expected from the Blades coming off the back of four clean sheets.

Unsurprisingly, after scoring four goals in his last five matches, Scottish talisman, Oli McBurnie, posed a severe threat throughout the first half. His header directed into John Ruddy was McBurnie’s first of many chances. 

A tense moment for the Blues goalkeeper between the 17th and 20th minute saw Rhys Norrington-Davies deny a low-driven strike from former Manchester United and Dutch youth international Tahith Chong.

Tommy Doyle created another chance for Sheffield United in the 23rd minute as his free kick from 40 yards out hit the crossbar.

Four minutes later, a neat turn from Sander Berge inside the box to cut on to his left just whistled past the post, creating the most promising chance of the half.

With no changes at half-time, chances were few and far between for the first 15 minutes. 

Illiman Ndiaye’s lack of conviction on his header, and his second effort going wide, did not trouble the Blues goalkeeper.

Despite Birmingham gaining some momentum and controlling the ball in the 60th minute, they were unable to deal with Oliver Norwood’s free kick. Oli Mcburnie took a well-timed half volley with his right, nestling into the top-right corner and awarding Sheffield United the first goal of the match.

Unfortunately, the league toppers’ lead lasted only six minutes as Blues captain Tony Deeny poked his first goal of the season into the back of the net with the Blades’ defence unable to deal with the corner.

No cards were drawn by referee Darren Bond, despite numerous altercations between players raising tensions around the stadium.

After a lengthy period of seven minutes of added time, neither team managed to grasp the winner, despite a free kick in a dangerous area for the away side and a corner for the Blades in injury time, and the game finished 1-1.

Birmingham boss John Eustace was first to meet the media after the game and heaped praise on his squad for “working their socks off” to win themselves a point. He emphasised how “difficult it is to come back from 1-0 at a ground like this”. Eustace showed relief that his goal scorer Troy Deeney was able to get off the mark for the season, admitting that he has “had chances but hasn’t been taking them”.

Paul Heckingbottom, next to be questioned, mentioned the squad’s troubles with lack of training time. With only four players in training amid the international break, the Blades’ manager stated that the players were “tired, but still persevered” throughout the game.

Sheffield United: Foderingham, Baldock, Basham, Berge, McBurnie (Sharp 69), Khadra (Bogle 62), Egan, Norwood, Doyle (Brewster 62), Ndiaye (McAtee 89), Norrington-Davies.

Unused: Davies, Arblaster, Gordon.

Birmingham: Ruddy, Colin, Sanderson, Trusty, Bacuna (Hannibal 65), Graham, Deeney (Bellingham 90), Longelo, Hogan (Jutkiewicz 90), Chong (Hall 81), Bielik.

Unused: Etheridge, Leko, James.