The best songs about Sheffield

Sheffield is a city with an undeniably rich culture, of which flows through the passion that its local people have for the area. This is mirrored in the artistic representation of the city, particularly in music, where it has been the topic for many songs, referencing historical landmarks, the people, or even the nightlife. With (mainly) positive things being said by local artists/bands, it really demonstrates Sheffield’s position as a culturally rich city, and this is shown by these following four songs about the steel city. 

1. Arctic Monkeys – Fake Tales of San Francisco

Our first choice is ‘Fake Tales of San Francisco’, by Sheffield legends Arctic Monkeys

First on the list we (rather unsurprisingly) have the Arctic Monkeys, and a track off their debut album Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not. In Fake Tales of San Francisco, Arctic Monkeys frontman Alex Turner describes how other local bands portray a false image of themselves in order to become successful, perfectly summed up in the outro of the song through the repeated lyrics ‘Get off the bandwagon and put down the handbook’. With a brief mention of neighbouring town Rotherham, Sheffield-born Alex Turner, who grew up in the High Green suburbs, uses Sheffield’s South-Yorkshire neighbour as an insult, pointing out that whilst these lads may act like they’re from New York City, the closest they’re getting to the Big Apple is Rotherham United’s stadium.

The bridge of the song also starts by stating: ‘He talks of San Francisco, he’s from Hunters Bar’, located to the west of Sheffield. Hunter’s Bar is a roundabout which, it’s safe to say, has gained recognition from Turner’s lyrics, with a twitter account @Hunters_Bar paying homage to the attraction with over 4.4k people following the account. Referencing their hometown in their lyrics was something not out of the ordinary for the Sheffield rock outfit, particularly in their first album; Hillsborough is referenced in the song Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured, as well as a reference to High Green in All My Own Stunts, taken from Arctic Monkeys fourth album Suck It And See – a nod to his childhood and the area he grew up in. 

2. Pulp – Wickerman 

Our second choice is ‘Wickerman’, from Pulp’s last album ‘We Love Life’.

From Pulp’s 7th and final album, we have the 8 minute long Wickerman, written by Sheffield icon Jarvis Cocker, who rose to stardom in the mid 90s amidst the release of Pulp hits Common People and Babies. In fact there was a wide selection of Pulp songs to choose from which reference his hometown Sheffield; perhaps the reason he is adored in the South Yorkshire city. Babies‘ B-side Sheffield: Sex City is often a contender for one of the greatest songs about Sheffield, making references to many locations in Sheffield from Crookes to Ecclesall in the intro. However, Wickerman, released in 2001 on the album We Love Life, gets my vote for being the best Pulp song referencing Sheffield.

With reference to one Sheffield’s most notorious landmark, the Leadmill, as well as mentions of the Moor and Broomhall; this spoken word song follows Jarvis as he walks down the River Don, with him taking inspiration from the fact that “it was really quite a magical day, because it [River Don] was travelling through the city that I’ve lived in all my life, but seeing it from a different angle.” 18 years later to its release, it was used in an A-level geography exam paper as a result of it fitting the purpose for this type of this question very well” according to Stacey Hill, head of curriculum for Geography at AQA, of which the question involved “how external factors such as art can influence a person’s perception of a place”.

3. Richard Hawley – Coles Corner

Our third pick comes from Sheffield cult icon Richard Hawley, and his beautiful song ‘Coles Corner’.

Perhaps a more surprising contender for one of the best songs about Sheffield, with the title track from Richard Hawley’s fourth solo album, succeeding a glittering career as guitarist for Sheffield based band Longpigs, which boosted his recognition enough for him to join Pulp for their final album We Love Life. The eponymous Coles Corner is located opposite the Sheffield cathedral, on the corner of Fargate and Church Street. It’s history dates back to the early 19th century, where it was common, and “is still remembered by many Sheffielders, of a certain age as the place to meet one’s date”, in the words of Richard Hawley, observing how the Sheffield based solo artist grasped the idea for the track. Unfortunately for Sheffielders, this local landmark was demolished, and instead has been replaced with a Pret a Manger in current day; a building stands in the way of Coles Corner that seemingly lacks character, with Chris Hobbs giving the damning verdict that the new build is “an urban tragedy and a sad reflection on Sheffield City Council.

Unlike the first two songs on this list; apart from the track title, Hawley’ lyrics have an abstract sense and don’t mention any place names or specific references towards Sheffield. However the lyrics, as well as the album cover showing Hawley holding flowers on a street corner, nod towards the well known history of Coles Corner being a place for dates to meet each other. However, the song takes a sad perspective as the lyrics state ‘with no-one there real waiting for me, no smile, no flower nowhere’ at the end of the chorus.

4. The Greasy Chip Butty Song (Sheffield United’s club anthem)

Our last pick is Sheffield United’s fantastic club anthem “The Greasy Chip Butty Song”.

Written in the late 1970s, this Sheffield classic (well, maybe not if you are a Wednesday fan!) is a spin off of Annie’s Song, by American singer John Denver released in 1974. The anthem, which United fans sing both home and away at kick off, as well as the start of the second half in their matches, is a tribute to life in Sheffield, with references towards nightlife, beer, tobacco, and, of course, greasy chip butties. 

Used for over 40 years, the stadium announcer will make the call for the song to start prior to the match, stating “it is now time for the greatest football anthem”. Annie’s Song begins to play, and “you light up my senses” is sung throughout Bramall Lane. However, the original song cuts out, as the Blades fans finish the song with their rendition. True to its lyrics, the song represents the true love and passion Sheffielders have for their city, which is confirmed from the lyrics being created by long-time Blades fan Gavin Hancock. Resembling the simple pleasures of life for a working class person in Sheffield, it is the most quintessential representation of life for a northerner and the fondness they have towards their historic roots.