Pulp: Ten of their best

What exactly do you do for an encore? Well, according to Sheffield pop icon of the 90s Jarvis Cocker, a sold out UK tour and headlining multiple festivals across 2023 fits the description.

For the first time in 11 years, Pulp will reunite with 11 shows, including a double header at the Sheffield Utilita Area on the 14th/15th July 2023 with local hero Richard Hawley supporting the Brit-Pop band.

In celebration of the jaw-dropping news that Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker dropped on his instagram page on October 28th, I have compiled a top 10 list of best Pulp songs of all time to get you in the spirit for their long awaited reunion.

10. Life Must Be So Wonderful” from Freaks (1987)

At number 10, (and their only work from their 80s catalogue to feature on the list) is Life Must Be So Wonderful. For what may be seen as a deep cut as their work before their breakthrough album His N Hers in 1994 was given very limited coverage, this song contains some of Cocker’s most passionate vocals, especially in the final minute of the track in which Jarvis whales the lyrics which fit the albums darker themes, ending the song with “and in the end nothing ends just grows fainter and farther away,” in true 80s fashion. It is almost unrecognisable as a Pulp song when compared to their hits of the 90s, but explores the themes of heartbreak in such a pessimistic and gloomy way – of which fits the theme of the 80s, with bands such as Joy Division and The Smiths spearheading the British music scene and it is clear the inspiration Cocker took from this.

9. “The Night That Minnie Timperley Died” from We Love Life (2001)

The up beat electric guitar lead song coming in at number 9 is The Night That Minnie Timperley Died from 2001 album We Love Life. This catchy rock song is most certainly fitting the vibe of Pulp’s final album with other songs such as Sunrise highlighting Mark Webber’s fascinating guitar performances on the album which features looser production with the help from music legend Scott Walker. The cheery and buoyant arrangement of the song however highly contrasts with the themes of the song which, according to Cocker, explore the murder of a young girl; “that song came from a dream that I had about me and Steve going to DJ at a Scottish rave, and we had all our equipment stolen”. Cocker exploring despairing stories, whether fictional or not, is most certainly not out of the ordinary – or as he so elegantly puts it, “Nice, cheery, feel good material…”

8. “Love Is Blind” from Separations (1992)

The only addition to the list from their third album Separations is Love Is Blind, and a stunning performance from long-lasting Pulp member Candida Doyle on the keyboards brings the opening track to this album to life. Despite being recorded towards the end of 1989, and possibly played as early as 1987 live, it wasn’t until 1992 where this track would be released. Despite being predominantly recorded in the 80s, it leaves the gloomy feel of the decade in the dust, which is clear from the memorable and snappy chorus. In particular, the aggressive bridge starting with the scream “hey butcher” is one of the highlights on this track, as it shows off Cocker’s lyric writing even before their breakthrough – leading into the outro which will be playing in your head for the rest of the day. This song is without a doubt the highlight of their pre-His N Hers discography.

7. “Do You Remember The First Time?” from His N Hers (1994)

Getting into the hits of the list, for which was the opening track to their setlist for Reading festival in 2011, Do You Remember The First Time? Well from the first time this track was played live in November 1993, it became an instant fan favourite from the band, particularly for its anthem-like chorus and sexually orientated lyrics about Jarvis Cocker’s loss of his virginity – a topic that gained controversy from English media when first released on the 21st March 1994. This backlash however would not put off Cocker in his writing, with sex becoming a repeated topic for his lyrics in the next 3 Pulp albums. Being their first top 40 single in the UK, there is no doubt that following the themes of this breakthrough single for the band that they were on the road for critically acclaimed success. Ryan Leas of Stereogum pointed out that this was the perfect song at the start of their setlist for their first reunion in 2012 as it injects energy into the crowd, no doubt this will be used again for their headline tour starting in 2023.

6. “I Spy” from Different Class (1995)

The first of three tracks from Pulp’s critically acclaimed album Different Class to make the list is I Spy. Spanning across nearly six minutes, this track is Cocker’s songwriting opus maximus, narrating a story of revenge and (of course) sex. For what sees Jarvis take the persona of a sadistic yet cunning individual who possesses over the most minor of details, “Skin stretched tight over high cheekbones and thousands of tiny dryness lines” being one of the many chilling yet remarkable use of imagery. Starting off at merely a whisper in the first verse as the instrumental builds up, the orchestral and theatrical I Spy shows another dimension to Pulp’s performance, stepping aside from upbeat pop songs for this thrilling adventure of a track, with a wall of strings that come into their own in the latter stages of the track. 

5. Disco 2000from Different Class (1995)

A true Pulp classic coming in at number 5, the third single from Different Class, Disco 2000. The track which quintessentially shows the then six-piece band to be in their band. With the quirky and electrifying rhythms throughout the track, captivating chorus and  personal lyrics in reference to Cocker’s childhood friend Deborah Bone, he really is in his element on this song, especially when played live. Even a reference to Cocker’s hometown Sheffield is included as the cherry on top of the cake – something that features regularly in his writing from songs such as Wickerman and Common People (more on that later…). In this instance, references are made to “the fountain down the road”, in which is most likely about the Goodwin Fountain which was located at one side of Fargate up until 1998 after being demolished by the City Council. Nevertheless, the essence of the song still holds strong in today’s generation as this will send the crowds into frenzy whether old or young in their reunion tour.

4. “Babies” from Intro – The Gift Recordings (1992)

Originally released in 1992 as part of the Into – The Gift Recordings, the single gained limited traction until its inclusion in the 1994 CD version of His N Hers. Since then it has been received as one of the band’s greatest pieces of work and a placeholder of Britpop in the 90s. With the unforgettable riff, of which is heightened in the version released on His N Hers, the track is seen as Pulp’s main transition from their 80s synth led less popular music to the dancy beat that always makes up their live setlists since the release of the song. Despite the catchiness, the origins of the song are actually a mistake from drummer Nick Banks who began to play the guitar with his limited skill and played two chords, one of which he had ‘no idea’ what it was. It was then down to Cocker’s fascination in Banks’ creation to then create the song.

3. “This Is Hardcore” from This Is Hardcore (1998) 

The first song from This Is Hardcore to feature on the list is its self titled raunchy masterpiece. With the song focusing on the themes of pornography, Jarvis has stated that “People don’t like to admit to being into porn; there’s a certain sadness – quite rightly so,” setting the scene for quite a depressing concept of a song. A song that is most likely going to take its place in the 2023 setlists, with it holding the lyric “what exactly do you do for an encore?” – for which has been used to promote the live shows on which will be the 25th anniversary of the release. There is no doubt that this track, as well as the rest of the album should deserve such a reception a quarter of a century on, with it representing such a low, yet gripping part of Jarvis Cocker’s life as he used cocaine as an escape from the pressures of fame at the height of the band’s powers. What resulted was a cocaine fuelled album – a concept which can often create such classic albums, including David Bowie’s Station To Station; Pulp’s sixth studio album undoubtedly fits the description, with this track being one of the jewels in the crown of the album.

2. “The Fear” from This Is Hardcore (1998)

The only song from Pulp’s infamous 1998 release to top its title track is The Fear, an unrestrained electric rock song going harder than any previous release. As the first song on the tracklist, it had to set a precedent for listeners that there would be no catchy pop songs on this album with optimism in the lyrics, but rather extreme and pessimistic descriptions of Cocker’s then mental state of which was depleting. The lyrics outline this very clearly, describing “the fear” he has as feeling like the end, and standing up to this feeling rather than shadowing yourself away from this, which benefitted Cocker as he says “On a personal level it actually helped me by looking at the stuff and confronting it and saying “yeah, it’s bad””. He comments that “it’s so over the top – your sex life is gone, there’s not just a monkey on your back but it’s built a house there. It’s funny because it’s so extreme”. By no means a conventional Pulp song, but one which deserves as much recognition amongst the hits.

1. “Common People” from Different Class (1995)

Well who could’ve predicted that this would be top of the list! The classic lead single from Different Class, released on 22nd May 1995, was a signature song of the Britpop movement and there is no doubt over why the song has remained as the final song on their setlists since its release. Full of satirical lyrics about posh people wanting to live the so-called “rough” and “common” lifestyle, the premise of the woman having the ability to “call your dad he could stop it all” summed up many working class’ views of those who fit this attitude. Cocker grasps the chance to no doubt take the piss at this patronising attitude, which he stated on BBC radio 1 to be “unpleasant”, of a woman he came across in St Martins College. No amount of words I can say can explain how brilliant the track is, however I believe Jarvis sums it up rather fittingly at Reading Festival back in 2011, “If Pulp are only ever remembered for this song I don’t care, it’s a good song”.

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...