Interview: SUPAS’ ‘9 to 5: The Musical’

After the roaring success of last year’s Curtains, SUPAS (Sheffield University Performing Arts Society) is back this winter (7th-10th December) with another dazzling musical offering.

Based on the iconic ‘80s film, 9 to 5 is a comedy musical following three female workers at the end of their tether who plot to kidnap their misogynistic boss. With a show-stopping score written by Dolly Parton herself and the wonderful acting prowess of SUPAS’ stars, 9 to 5 is sure to be a smash-hit.

I interviewed the team behind the show to find out more.

Why did you choose 9 to 5?

Charlie (Musical Director): It has such a wide breadth of interesting ensemble parts and generally relatable characters, but that doesn’t take away from the main story.

Alice (Choreographer): I wanted to choreograph 9 to 5 because it’s such an upbeat show with a great message.

Kim (Production Manager): I love the storyline and I love Dolly Parton! And although it’s set in the late ‘70s, the underlying theme of inequality in the workplace is as relevant now as it was back then.

Will (Director): It’s such a funny show! Finding the perfect way to deliver a line or gesture that brings the comedy out of it was a challenge that I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into.

What sort of person is going to love this musical?

Charlie: It has something for everyone, but it’ll especially appeal to people who love a bit of Dolly.

Alice: Everyone!

Kim: Anyone who watches 9 to 5 will relate to most of the characters, just hopefully not Franklin Hart Jr!

Will: Absolutely everyone! Even better if you’re a fan of Dolly Parton.

Describe 9 to 5 in either 9 or 5 words.

Charlie: Fun, heartwarming and joyful, while still relevant and exciting!

Alice: A wonderful, funny, feminist masterpiece.

Kim: Funny, heartwarming, relevant, inspirational, attention-grabbing.

Will: Don’t drink the wrong coffee!

What has been most challenging about bringing this script and score to life?

Charlie: The hardest part for me was bringing ‘One of the Boys’ together. It’s got several different styles, with an intense dance and demanding harmonies, but that feeling when I realised we’d finished it? Unbeatable.

Alice: Some numbers are very bitty, with dialogue in the middle, which makes for interesting songs but is tricky to bring together.

Kim: Definitely the set and costume changes. But the design team and technicians have plenty of tricks up their sleeves and are incredibly talented, so I have no doubt that they’ll wow the audience!

Will: There are a lot of scenes with different settings, so it’s tricky to bring them to life.

In your opinion, what is the best song in the musical?

Charlie: My top three at the moment are ‘Get Out and Stay Out’, ‘Shine Like the Sun’ and ‘One of the Boys.’ If I had to choose a favourite, it would be ‘Get Out and Stay Out’ – the first time I heard the band play it was incredible.

Alice, Kim and Will: ‘One of the Boys’!

How can students get involved with other SUPAS productions in the future?

Charlie: We post regularly on Instagram (@SUPASShef) and Facebook (Sheffield University Performing Arts Society), and our wonderful radio and comms officer, Emily, is more than happy for a chat over DMs.

Alice: We’ll be announcing our next show in Week 10, and auditions will be at the beginning of Semester 2. We also hold workshops as part of our Musical Theatre Monday programme, which anyone is welcome to join!

Kim: Outside auditions, we hold plenty of socials and musical theatre workshops.

Will: Come to our auditions next semester! There’ll be opportunities to apply for cast, band and tech crew.

SUPAS’ 9 to 5 is running from 7th to 10th December in the Drama Studio. Get your tickets here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/supas

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...

Book Review: Babycakes ~ Armistead Maupin

A sailor walks into a bar, meets a reporter and says he’s defected. Don’t wait for a punchline, because this is no laughing matter....