“Immersive, inventive, and most importantly brutal” : God of War: Ragnarök

God of War: Ragnarök is a direct sequel to one of the most decorated games in history.  Including storytelling rooted within the tales of Norse myths, this latest instalment features a story that builds upon the impressive and engaging world created by its prequel.

Kratos and Atreus venture out into the nine realms once again, but this time on a mission that is more purposeful to the world that they live in; an adventure that revolves around the Norse event of Ragnarök.

The story, as a result, is not as personal as the one observed in the prequel but one that allows players to develop a deeper connection with the world Kratos and Atreus find themselves in. The game brings back some important characters such as Mimir and Freya from the prequel but also introduces exciting new ones such as Thrud and the All-Father himself, Odin. By shifting the camera through multiple perspectives, the game navigates the drama and tension of the story by illustrating the motivations of its characters more intimately.

As expected with a God of War game, the combat design is highly immersive, inventive, and most importantly brutal, making every enemy encounter feel satisfying and meaningful.

There is an introduction of considerable new enemy types and a plethora of new challenging boss fights. Moreover, the interactive minigame action sequences encountered throughout the game, pack a promised delivery of adrenaline rush, moments of intense action, and wonderful cinematography. The remarkable voice acting and the brilliant sound design truly wrap everything together and complement the game in creating a unique, engulfing experience.

Similarly, the game utilises strategic tools to enhance the experience, such as using the in-game dialogue system to shed more light on Kratos and his past life. This benefits new players by allowing them to step into the definitive events of the earlier God of War games to understand Kratos in a more constructive manner. At the same time, it manages to bring back moments of nostalgia for original players. Side quests provide more context to the current world and reward players for their extra efforts through useful gear, even mindlessly exploring the realms is more fun with Mimir’s stories in the background.

God of War: Ragnarök is an enthralling new adventure that feels natural to its characters. The bold narrative decisions provide a meaningful story, and the exceptional world-building allows for an unparalleled adventure to be enjoyed by any and every player. It proves to be a formidable entry in the long-spanning series of God of War.

5/5 Stars

Image credits : Sony Interactive Entertainment

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...