“But you don’t look gay?” – Column

If I had a pound for every time that I’ve heard that, I’d finally be able to pay off my student overdraft.

From both inside and outside the community, there are assumptions that queer people usually look a certain way, which leads to naive assumptions and unwarranted statements.

Lots of queer individuals adjust the way that they dress to appear more or less “gay”, and it’s something most of us are at least aware of. This is particularly common among the “baby gays”. Stereotypes sometimes exist for a reason. There are obviously lots of trends amongst the LGBTQ+ community, as there are in any large demographic. Discovering your identity can be daunting and unsettling so often when you find a group of people you align with, you’ll do everything in your power to fully “integrate” yourself. There’s something oddly comforting about people correctly assuming your identity. It avoids some of the exhaustion that comes with constantly coming out to everyone you meet, and can make you feel like you finally “fit in”. The media perpetuates only a select few archetypal queer characters, who are what people picture when they hear the words “queer”, or “gay”, or “lesbian”, leaving everyone else a little lost.

Appearance can play a big role in forming and expressing your identity. It can be either incredibly validating or crushingly invalidating when assumptions are made about your appearance. When questioning identity, the last thing you want is someone else’s opinion adding to that chaos. There is already so much variety between the traditional queer stereotypes – think masc vs femme vs androgynous – so it is incorrect to assume that each identity has just a few images. If you don’t conform to this style blueprint, you are often left feeling alienated.

First, your gender identity or sexuality doesn’t match with the “normal” and now you’re being told that you don’t match up to this new community either? It can feel like you constantly have to prove something and are always fending off questions like “Have you ever actually dated a girl though?”, which are frankly irrelevant. Your own opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to your identity, but it’s natural to crave that validation.

Alas, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. While appearance and identity are often explored at the same time, they can be untangled. At some point, everyone finds a style and presentation that makes them feel more comfortable, and comes to understand themselves more and more. Neither style nor identity will have one permanent fit for you. As humans, we are constantly growing and learning more and more about ourselves every day. There is something so simple yet so beautiful and euphoric in “finding yourself” and being confident in it, regardless of whether or not it matches societal expectations. You’ll find the people that you have to prove yourself for. And one day, the tables will turn and you’ll notice someone else where you began and you’ll realise just how far you’ve come.

Liberty Belle reveal Forge Arts & Theatre Editor on 2024/25 Committee

Editor Jasmine Pegg joins former Arts & Theatre Editor Faith Suronku-Lindsay & a team of ten other students leading this year's magazine

Sheffield United Women disappoint in defeat to Bristol City

Sheffield United slipped to a seventh consecutive league defeat after being outclassed by Bristol City at Bramall Lane.

Unveiling the Untold: Asian Literature Feature

Taking a deep dive into the rich world of Asian literature, we look at some of the best of these stories, & their writers

Rak-Sakyi nets twice as Sheffield United continue unbeaten start against Luton Town

Sheffield United continued their unbeaten start to the EFL Championship season with a comfortable win over Luton Town on Saturday.

🔴 Sheffield United Women vs Bristol City: LIVE updates from the FA WSL 2

Follow along with live updates from Hillsborough as Sheffield Wednesday host West Bromwich Albion in the EFL Championship.

Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker unveils 7 SUTCo debuts in cast

Composed of returning faces & new students, Margaret Beaufort: Kingmaker is the first semester one show to announce its cast

African Film Stars to lead Sheffield Theatres’ & Utopia Production

Stars of African media lead the 26-person cast of 'Death and the King's Horseman', the first staging in Sheffield in its history