Standing at the Sky’s Edge: ‘A wonderful ode to Sheffield’

Standing at the Sky’s Edge is a musical written by Chris Bush, scored by two time Mercury Prize and BRIT Award nominee Richard Hawley, and directed by Robert Hastie. This Sheffield production at The Crucible is a masterpiece, blending top-tier musical performances and engaging storylines with realistic characters.

I laughed, l learned, and I cried. The writing playfully balances serious moments critiquing gentrification, microaggressions, yuppie politics, and knife crime, amongst other subjects with great humour and witty dialogue. The story perfectly captures the range of human experiences. The set design meshes beautifully with the plot, with concurring timelines of Park Hill, beginning in the late 60s, into the late 80s, through to 2016, showcasing aspirations to make the most of what seems like a great opportunity to make a better life. This blends and produces a tangible timeline of the history and politics of modern Britain, referencing the Steel strike, miners’ strike, Liberian Civil War, Sheffield’s welcoming of refugees, Brexit, and the 2019 general election. It doesn’t shove this down your throat. Rather, it’s an important backdrop that allows the characters to really shine. An aspiring foreman and his supportive wife, an African family escaping civil war, and a heartbroken woman escaping London and her past. These characters cleverly demonstrate the history of Sheffield and take us through the daily struggles that many of us across a diverse society face.

Overall, this play is a steal, and I really recommend you catch this excellent multimedia artistic experience. It’s a wonderful ode to Sheffield which marks the 50th year of the Crucible.

Image Credit: Johan Persson

Standing at the Sky’s Edge is playing at the Crucible until 21st January 2023. Tickets are available here.

General Election 2024 ~ The Results: Live

Welcome to Forge Press Arts & Theatre’s live coverage of the 2024 General Election Result, with Arts & Theatre Editor Sophie Layton (she/her). We...

Juno Dawson to speak at Juno Books

International bestselling author Juno Dawson will visit the LGBTQ+ bookshop Juno Books next month. The queer author, who has written bestsellers such as Clean...

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Jason Leman, Green Party

An interview with the Green Party's candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights: Isaac Howarth, Conservative Party

Find out the main aims of Isaac Howarth, the Conservative Party candidate for Sheffield Hallam.

Sheffield Hallam Candidate Spotlights : Shaffaq Mohammed, Liberal Democrats

Shaffaq Muhammed, candidate for the Liberal Democrats in the Sheffield Hallam constituency, tells us his main aims for this election.