Frontier Magazine is a student-founded magazine with a philosophical slant that publishes articles, essays, opinion pieces, reviews, art, poetry, and creative writing.

Myself and co-founder James Grant started the magazine with the objective of giving a voice to students, young people, and the local community. As writers ourselves, we want the magazine to allow people to practise their art freely with the aim of encouraging change. The first goal of the magazine is to spark thought and debate from the work we showcase.

The magazine is made to be accessible, to turn academic writing into a more casual  format and art into philosophy. We focus on longer-form pieces to make the bulk of our publications. We believe this is a positive feature because it allows more space for ideas to develop, and we remain very open to our readers so that their opinions and responses may be included. Ultimately, we want art to be able to be exercised as an input into an ever-ongoing dialogue, So, why young people? Well, because like it or not, as it has always been, the young are the future, and on that basis alone their ideas carry perhaps the most weight of all.

The magazine’s ethos of philosophy and debate is centred around the idea of a free society. In the publication we aim to emulate what we mean by this by creating safe and equal places for women, fighting against all forms of prejudice, bringing into question all structures of power, highlighting the plight, bringing a voice to our friends and comrades in the post-colonial world which is long overdue, and ultimately constructing an alternative platform to mainstream publications, aimed at producing art to carry and transmit our ideas.

Frontier magazine

To Purchase issues, read free articles and submit any art, prose, creative pieces and photography. Click here.

And, please follow us on Instagram.

Our third issue is out now!