Review: Steel Magnolias at the Lyceum (31st January)

Many people will fondly remember the 1989 classic film Steel Magnolias, adapted from Robert Harling’s 1987 stage play. It is a story full of both comic and heartbreaking moments. The show opened at The Lyceum on Tuesday (31st January) and the cast truly brought the essence of the film to life while giving the show their own unique spin.

The whole play took place within ‘Truvy’s Beauty Spot’ which was adorned with pictures of Dolly Parton, who played Truvy in the film. This single set created an intimate atmosphere which allowed the actors to connect with the audience, especially during emotional moments surrounding Shelby’s illness. Diana Vickers (Shelby) and Laura Main (M’Lynn) depicted a realistic and heartfelt mother-daughter relationship, while Harriot Thorpe provided some much needed comic relief in her role as Ouiser Boudreaux, grumpy neighbour and friend.

The decision to not depict male characters in the stage version remains a powerful technique. It allows the focus to stay with the ‘Steel Magnolias’: the strong, mostly middle-aged women who form the show’s core. Their friendships literally take centre stage and the connections between the women feel real and familiar.

The costumes were utterly fabulous, not only staying true to the 1980s setting but also being theatrically over the top. The range of hairstyles was also fantastic, with ‘Truvy’s Beauty Spot’ appearing to be a real, bustling hairdresser’s. Elizabeth Aydele brought life to the shop’s naive but kind-hearted hairdressing assistant Annelle. As Annelle is new to the small American town she is the audience’s way into the story. Aydele both created sympathy for the character and had brilliant comic timing, especially in the moments when Annelle does not realise that she has said something funny.

Steel Magnolias is definitely worth a watch, so why not get your tickets now? It is showing at The Lyceum in Sheffield until the 4th of February and at The Lowry in Salford from the 21st to the 25th of February.

Ways to make the most of the sun this summer

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...