Sheffield Insights event review: Lisa Burger

The route into a career in the arts can be a unique and unstructured experience, efficiently summarised by Lisa Burger as a ‘zigzag’ rather than a linear path. 

After graduating from the University of Sheffield, Lisa knew that she wanted some form of a career within the arts. A close family friend suggested accountancy as a route in, as well as a secure plan B. This suggestion, in due course, was responsible for her role at the Welsh National Opera as chief accountant, which paved the way to her future. Since then, Lisa has been involved with the Royal Opera House, the National Gallery Company and the National Theatre, as Chief Operating Officer and Executive Producer.

Lisa has personally found her experience working in the arts exceptionally rewarding, bringing together passionate people from all backgrounds with unique insights and experiences to create art. This passion is something which Lisa believes is essential for a career in the arts, alongside a bravery necessary to push boundaries. This involves a large degree of self-belief and determination. It’s also vital to grab any opportunities which may present themselves.

Despite the path into a career in the arts being so ‘opaque’ as Lisa describes, she does identify possible routes for those potentially interested in a career in this industry. She points to the numerous apprenticeship schemes available, easily found online, as a direct route in. She also identifies the responsibility that you need to take on to make yourself stand out, as well as presenting evidence of a commitment to and understanding of the arts.

Lisa also voices the challenges which are faced in this industry, specifically the underfunding of the arts and the difficulties faced when putting on performances, particularly funding touring performances. This can be especially disheartening to members of the arts industry, another reason as to why passion for the arts is required within this field.

Overall, Lisa’s career is a prime example of an alternative route into the arts. Her insight and understanding of ‘zigzag’ routes into the industry is comforting for those who aspire to be a part of the arts, as there is seemingly a unique way in for everyone.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...