What has the National Trust done for the art world?

The National Trust has one of the world’s largest collections of fine art and heritage objects, preserving and displaying over 13,000 oil paintings and one million objects, across over 200 historic places. Since its founding in 1895, the organisation has been dedicated to preserving historic cultural heritage sites and their impressive collections, so they can continue to be enjoyed by future generations.

Anyone who has visited a National Trust site will remember the sheer volume of paintings, sculptures and objects filling its rooms. Many previous owners of the historic properties were art lovers and collectors, amassing collections impressive in the quantity, quality, and variety of artworks on display. They hold a wide array of pieces, from modern art created in the 21st century to objects dating all the way back to possibly the 10th century BC. The antiquity of so many artefacts, which are so well maintained, is a testament to the National Trust’s conservation team and its dedicated mission to conserve history.

Some notable artworks in the National Trust’s collection include:

• Rembrandt van Rijn, Self-portrait, wearing a Feathered Bonnet, 1635, held at Buckland Abbey, Devon.

Buckland Abbey ©National Trust Images/Chris Titmus

• Multiple works by Barbara Hepworth, one of the greatest sculptors of the 20th century, renowned for her iconic style of work, including Two Forms (Orkney), 1967, held at Dudmaston, Shropshire.

Dudmaston © Bowness

• Kuei bowl, Chinese. Chou, 9th-10th century BC, held at Fenton House, London.

Fenton House ©National Trust / Adam Walsh

As well as their conservation work, the National Trust also promotes the art world through various exhibitions and special events. In 2009 they launched Trust New Art, an initiative intended to engage fresh audiences with contemporary art through National Trust places and properties. So far, they’ve collaborated with over 300 artists to help visitors see properties and their surrounding areas in a new light. Recently, they introduced a remarkable light installation, The Artificial Sunshine, at The Argory in County Armagh. Northern Irish artist Kevin Killen took inspiration from the shine of the acetylene gas flame that lit The Argory, to present visitors with a contemporary take on the space.

When discussing the impact that the National Trust has had on the world of art, it is important to consider how accessible they make their efforts to preserve artworks, the artworks themselves, and special exhibitions and events designed to increase interest in art and artistic culture.

The National Trust admits that accessibility to artworks can vary depending on the specific property or exhibition; however, efforts have been made to increase accessibility to their properties and the vital work carried out there. Many properties have created podcasts – available via free podcast platforms such as Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Google Podcasts – as well as audio and large print guides which are available in person at properties. The podcasts initiative is especially helpful to those who have difficulty visiting properties in person or accessing information on the National Trust website.

Unfortunately, the historic nature of their properties makes it difficult to install lifts or sufficient ramps due to limited space and fragile building fabric. Only 33 out of their hundreds of properties contain lifts, however their Access Guide states that they are striving to include lifts in as many places as possible.

Although it’s undeniable that the National Trust has made great efforts to maximise accessibility to the art world (both in person and virtually), it is disappointing that more cannot seemingly be done to bring art enthusiasts and newcomers alike closer to the organisation’s work in preserving and promoting art. In the past, specific properties have introduced sensory experiences to allow multisensory engagement with artworks; if expanded further, this would result in an increased contribution to the world of art.

However, overall, the organisation’s immense efforts in the conservation and promotion of artists’ work have helped to ensure that art and its culture will continue to be preserved and thrive for future generations. By working hard to raise awareness of the importance of preserving art, and by designing new projects to promote both historic and contemporary artworks, the National Trust is helping both old and new visitors to engage with art in a meaningful way that is essential to uplifting the world of art.

SUTCo reveals 2 original scripts in semester 1 programme

The Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) have revealed their semester 1 programme for the 2024/25 academic year. The group, which aim to put on...