Talented Genes or Nepo Babies?

“I will be the first to tell you that I literally deserve nothing”. 

All the talk around ‘Nepo Babies’ is the latest example of TikTok’s habit of giving existing social concepts new names. Nepotism is hardly a novel concept and works in settings as common as your part-time job, not just in the entertainment industry or politics. 

However, the regurgitation of nepotism as a phenomenon that which lies within the music industry has reignited a debate. It’s opened avenues for discussion surrounding diversity and representation, as well as wealth, class, and access to resources. 

The term ‘nepo baby’ is used within the music world to lump together who have supposedly succeeded off the back of their parent’s connections and relationships, as opposed to innate talent and merit. Some are seen as deserving of the fame, whilst others are merely branded talentless hacks. 

New York Magazine’s now-famous cover for their article discussing Nepo Babies, and the recent craze that has engulfed them. (Credit: Joe Darrow)

Examples may include; Miley Cyrus, daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus and Goddaughter to the lauded Dolly Parton, Elijah Hewson, son of U2’s Bono, Fred Again.., whose parents are members of the British peerage, and Lily Allen, daughter of ‘The Others’ actor, Keith Allen.

However, with Cyrus’ recent release encouraging an entire generation of women to go out and buy themselves flowers and Fred Again’s powerful finger drumming reaching viral hits online, it’s difficult to deny the fact these people are simply good at what they do. 

This clear familial line of success in the Cyrus clan raises the question as to whether there is the possibility that musical ability is simply inherited. The daughter of a successful, acclaimed musician also goes on to become a successful, acclaimed musician. A simple explanation, right? Do these musicians possess a divine gift and are certain people simply ‘born’ as musicians as opposed to others? 

A study in the Journal of Research in Music Education shows that to an extent, genetics do play a role in determining someone’s musical aptitude. However, this research only compares musical ability in identical twins to fraternal twins, which is relatively limiting. 

An expert opinion piece in the Scientific American also recognises there may be a link between genetics and musical ability, but stresses the importance of environmental factors, such as exposure to music, access to training and instruments, and having the time and ability to practice. 

It’s a fair assumption to make that a child with natural musical talent, access to resources, access to time, and industry connections will excel in the music world. However, the music industry is one of the existing industries that values merit above all other factors. This leaves us asking questions about how we make music accessible to children from all backgrounds. Is there simply enough funding, in the UK as of particular? 

The 2000s songstress, Lily Allen, is one of the latest to weigh in on the debate. Abandoning her previous role of “chief nepo-baby defender”, through claims of having worked hard for where she got and stating that she believes nepo-babies are used as a scapegoat for larger societal issues, she took to twitter and wrote: 

“And before you come at me for being a nepo baby myself, I will be the first to tell you that I literally deserve nothing.” 

“I think it’s important to disclose what a privileged upbringing I’ve had and how that has created so many opportunities for me.” 

However, Zoe Kravitz, daughter of ‘It Ain’t Over Til It’s Over’ singer, Lenny Kravitz discredited the entire notion of meritocracy in a comment which fell nothing short of tone-deaf. 

“It’s completely normal for people to be in the family business. Its literally where last names came from. You were a blacksmith if your family was, like, the Black family.” 

What Kravitz seems to miss, is that we no longer live in a time where we are limited to a destiny written out by our family name. 

Whilst there’s still a long way to go, there is recognition that equal opportunities should be made available, and that investment in funding and support of these activities is integral to ensure everyone who wants to, competes on a level playing field. 

So, it’s not to say that music’s nepo babies aren’t deserving of recognition for their work, it’s not to say that they even lack talent. However, we must take a more nuanced approach when we make up our minds about nepo babies and their place in the music industry.

There has been recent stir over the Arts Council’s the distribution of funding, with Sheffield receiving substantially less than its northern counterpart, Leeds. It’s important to note the negative consequences chronically underfunding an area can have for underrepresented groups and what this means for diversity in the music industry both nationally and internationally.

So, at best, Nepo Babies very existence highlight what is lacking when it comes to funding, training, support, and opportunities in the music industry and exactly what needs to be done.  

English Society announce 2024/25 committee

The departmental society names their leadership ahead of Freshers Week

Book Review: Political Tribes ~ Amy Chua

As divisions become baked into society, how do we begin to get past it?

Lib Dems name new Culture Spokesperson in seismic reshuffle

New MP Max Wilkinson has replaced veteran MP Jamie Stone as Culture Spokesperson, with half of 2019 Lib Dems losing their portfolios

Opinion: How far is too far?

God you just can’t say anything anymore...

Exhibition Review: Recasting Canova

The gift for defeating Europe's shortest military legend fails to reach the heights of other Crawford collections

Sheffield Steelers make history on the European stage

The Sheffield Steelers are expertly representing the UK in the Champions Hockey League with three wins on the bounce for the first time ever.

Review: Love Lasts Forever – Destroy Lonely

One of the frontrunners of Playboi Carti’s Opium record label, Destroy Lonely is back with his highly-anticipated album — LOVE LASTS FOREVER. The album,...