Oscars 2023: The (Not Red) Carpet

With awards season being a pivotal time for celebrity Fashion moments, The Oscars play an important role in trend predictions for the year ahead. 

Recently, viewers online have speculated that jewellery is beginning to become less apparent – with many theories linking this possibility to the ever-increasing cost of living crisis which can be seen worldwide. Specifically, statement necklaces seem to have disappeared from the necks of our favourite creatives, being a key part of luxury and wealth-driven maximalism. 

Ironically and somewhat lightheartedly titled ‘Recession Core’ by the fashion side of TikTok, typical signs of the economic impact could definitely be noticed at the 95th Academy Awards. 

A key feature? Everything is beige. 

From fan-favourite Florence Pugh to lesser-known faces like Erim Lim, a dull colour palette was certainly apparent. Although not to imply the fashion itself was dull, with colourful trends like Dopamine Dressing and Y2K not being that far in the distant past it certainly seems to have been a fast 180. 

This is not to say colour didn’t make an appearance. In fact, more youthful nominees could be seen in bold colours. For example, the upcoming Little Mermaid star, Halle Bailey, seemingly paid homage to her impending role through her dress being a shade of increasingly trendy baby blue. Another key example was Best Supporting Actress nominee Stephanie Hsu, who caught attention in an almost Salmon pink gown. 

Although both looks were bright and beautiful, they were simplistic through details such as Stephanie’s hair being almost untouched – allowing it to flow naturally down her shoulders and almost covering where once a necklace may have been expected, especially given the dress’s strapless design. 

This more demure take on fashion can appear almost unfinished and arguably feeds into the social media-driven celebrity need to be relatable to the general public – despite the obvious and significant wealth divide between A-listers and their adoring fans. 

Many a Little Black Dress was also on show. Making headlines, Lady Gaga stunned in a Versace dress worn by Gigi Hadid less than 48 hours prior during the collection’s catwalk debut at their star-studded Los Angeles show. 

Speculations have been drawn as to why the infamous pop superstar was not in a couture look – from theories including the dress being a last-minute backup to the look being the Poker Face singer’s nod to her friendship with and support for Donatella Versace. However, in an age of gimmick-driven fashion that recently includes Coperni’s robot runway accompaniment and ANREALAGE’s colour-changing clothing, it could easily be assumed that the decision was an attempt to catch headlines. An attempt that has been successful with Tweets, Instagram comments and TikToks making comments that poke fun at the quick turnaround already steadily circulating within style communities on the platforms. 

Similarly, a ruby red a la Cluedo character Miss Scarlett was also very apparent – and thankfully so as the typical red carpet was replaced with a sand-coloured alternative that let the sexy shade take precedence. A colour unlikely to ever go out of trend due to its ability to complement most skin shades, it’s interesting to see the development of our once pink-focused colour palette rapidly having shifted towards its more mature counterpart. 

A favourite of mine, pockets, also featured in many of the evening’s dresses. Although a subtle detail, this aspect easily links to the recession’s influence as being a cause for more practical fashion. It could also be argued that, as we live in an age of extreme climate concern, the addition allows for no addition of a handbag being necessary – furthering the lack of accessories but also linking the industry’s recent strive for a reduced environmental impact. 

The main takeaway? It seems less is more. 

After the recent Fashion Weeks mainly presented a case for capsule wardrobes and timeless pieces, maybe it is finally time to get ahold of our splurging urges.