Finding the right accommodation: International students have their say

With over 29,000 international students making up a third of Sheffield’s student population, our university has one of the most diverse campuses in the UK, but is it a struggle making the transition to Sheffield living? 

Starting at a new university can be a daunting experience for anyone. This is none more so the case than for international students, who not only have to acclimatise to the challenges of a new city, but also to the challenges of a new country. From the macro-level changes of the language to the micro-level of navigating the city, international students face some of the greatest challenges that university life can throw at you. This begs the question: Is it difficult finding the right accommodation as an international student? I interviewed several international students who had their say and offered advice for future students.

Finding the right accommodation is often the highest priority for international students; a home from home to help them settle into life in the UK. This can be quite tricky however, given the vast array of options available to Sheffield students. From the accommodation offered by the university to privately leased flats in the city centre, it can be difficult to know which option is for you. 

However, the international students I spoke to were keen to allay the fears of prospective students, arguing that each accommodation option comes with its own unique perks that helped them settle in. 

Kunal, a cyber security student, stayed in the Student Roost block on Edward Street in his first year. Kunal said he chose Student Roost because of its close proximity to campus and because of how cheap it was. The block is just a couple of streets away from the diamond, whilst it is also conveniently serviced by a Tesco on its doorstep. He also added that he found it very easy meeting other students; the flat he stayed in was populated by other international students who all quickly became good friends. 

After his first year in Sheffield, Kunal is now living together with his original flatmates in a privately rented house. However, Kunal still stressed the need to get in touch with the university for support if things aren’t going smoothly. He said: “Make sure to ask for help if you need it, the University has fantastic support structures and they’re here to help you, don’t be too shy to ask.”

Indeed, choosing an accommodation that is likely to house other international students can be a good way of meeting other students in the same boat as you.

Serena, a first year digital culture and communication student, is currently staying at the Straits Manor apartments on West Street. Although further away from campus, Serena said: “It’s a good accommodation for first years, it’s very convenient living so close to the city centre.” Serena also added that she found it “very easy” meeting new people; many others staying in her accommodation block were on similar courses and were also international students. 

Her block was also well-serviced by buses and trams running along West Street, meaning she found it easy navigating the city. Sheffield’s excellent transportation services were also praised by Eesha, a first-year law student, who stated that the Zoom Pass makes travelling around the city both easy and affordable. The Zoom Pass allows students aged 18-21 to travel for just 80p per journey across buses and trams, making those last-minute journeys into town or spontaneous shopping trips to Meadowhall much easier. 

Eesha is currently staying in Allan Court, one of the accommodation blocks offered by the University, which she highly recommends to prospective international students. Eesha said: “Allan Court makes it really convenient to access the university.

“They also host socials in the common room that makes it easy to settle in.”

Allan Court is just across the road from university buildings like the IC, making it highly convenient for new students. Indeed, the accommodation offered by the University carries the significant advantage of additional support networks. From the hosting of social events, to res-life mentors, to find-a-flatmate events and 24/7 phone lines, the slightly more expensive accommodation offered by the University can often entail an especially warm welcome for new students. 

Eesha was also keen to emphasise the importance of getting involved with clubs and societies. The University boasts over 300 different clubs and societies for you to get involved in during your time in Sheffield. Eesha is part of her course society, LawSoc, and is also part of the Malaysian-Singapore society. She stated that joining the latter in particular was a massive help in allowing her to settle into life in Sheffield as she was able to meet other like minded international students and make new friends by attending the society’s socials. When asked what advice she’d give for future international students, Eesha said: “Attend as many social events as possible and make the most of every opportunity.”

Overall, despite all choosing different accommodations, each accommodation option offers something different to international students that allows them to settle into student life all the same. Whether it’s the proximity to town or campus, the opportunity to live with other international students, or the additional perks offered by University accommodation, international students have a wide array of attractive options which can make the transition to life in the UK a seamless one. 

Where you choose ultimately might depend on your personal preference for city or campus living, as well as the kind of students you want to live with. Many student blocks may be more populated with international students than others, so it’s important to factor this into your decision if you’re looking to live with students in the same boat as you. But either way, the university will always be there to support you, and there will always be opportunities to meet new students and make friends on campus who can truly help make Sheffield your home!

Festival of Debate Review: Human Flourishing – A Conceptual Analysis

You may have been told you or your skills are ‘flourishing’ by a lecturer, friend, teacher or even family member since being at university....

Hold tight before you swipe right: The casual hookup culture at University is out of hand.

TW: Mention of sexual assault. Casual sex at university in the UK is a huge cultural rite of passage...

The short, dark days are over and as the summer sun creeps into Sheffield, I thought it was about time we talked about all...