World Heritage Day 2023

Today is World Heritage Day, a global celebration of the planet’s heritage.

Originally known as International Monuments and Sites Day, World Heritage Day strives to educate people about the value of heritage sites, to increase awareness about the importance of diverse cultural and natural heritage, and to stress the need to preserve these for future generations.

Each year, the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) selects a theme for the day – the theme for 2023 is ‘Heritage Changes.’ With this theme, ICOMOS wants to give the opportunity to highlight the vast potential of heritage research, which could produce ‘climate-resilient pathways’ and advocate for a low-carbon future. ‘Heritage Changes’ also sheds light on the tremendous contributions of volunteers in their efforts to help maintain a wide variety of heritage sites across the globe.

How can traditional knowledge involving heritage inform climate action?

• Combining historic building conservation with recycling, reusing and energy efficiency in heritage buildings and landscapes.
  • Presenting the ways traditional knowledge, practices and cultural heritage are part of solutions when designing innovative infrastructure developments.
  • Showing how traditional philosophies for dealing with the natural environment and the climate are manifested in built heritage and cultural landscapes.

What are some must-visit heritage sites in the UK?

• Hadrian’s Wall

An iconic UNESCO World Heritage Site, Hadrian’s Wall was originally built to guard the northwest frontier of the Roman Empire. It’s complete with towers, turrets and forts, and stretches 73 miles in northern England from coast to coast. Along this length are over 20 English Heritage sites – the main ones to visit are Corbridge Roman Town, Birdoswald Roman Fort, Chesters Roman Fort and Housesteads Roman Fort.

• Stonehenge

This world-renowned heritage site in Wiltshire is made up of massive standing and lying stones – some transported all the way from South Wales. Archaeologists estimate construction took place between 3000 BC and 1600 BC. The site is one of the most impressive structures from its time, especially considering the few technological means available to assist its assembly. Despite the considerable amount of research done on the site, its purpose is still a mystery; today, you can explore the visitor centre to learn more and take in the wonder of Stonehenge.

• Fountains Abbey

A little closer to Sheffield, Fountains Abbey in Ripon consists of the 12th-century remains of Britain’s most complete Cistercian abbey and is now part of the National Trust. Despite the abbey suffering in the 14th century from economic hardship and the Black Death, restoration work in the 15th century allowed it to continue running until its dissolution by order of King Henry VIII in 1539. The remains are very visually impressive, and there’s a vast site to explore, with many stories to discover.

This year’s World Heritage Day is the perfect opportunity to get out and discover old and new stories, histories and innovations!