Live Review: Maisie Peters @ The Leadmill

Soon-to-be superstar Maisie Peters took to the Leadmill stage last Tuesday bringing powerful vocals, empowering lyrics and girlboss energy to her Sheffield headline debut. 

Supported by fellow blonde and sister to the infamous brother, Cate, the gig began with the Canadian’s high energy set, hyping fans who had been queuing for over an hour around the building.

The same fans were word-perfect in screaming back some of the highlights from Cate’s recent release Tell Me Things You Won’t Take Back, including ‘Manic Pixie Dream Girl’ and ‘Groupie’, much to the singer-songwriter’s delight. Mid-set Cate noticed one fan had even created a sign to accompany ‘Funny Story’, outlining her own anecdote. Whatever magic formula Peter’s uses to captivate a main-room full of dedicated fans, Cate certainly isn’t far off recreating in her own bubbly way. 

Rounding off her set with a rendition of ‘Rockstar’, the real life Hannah Montana left the majoritively female crowd in a state of frenzy and anticipation for the main event. 

It would be another half hour and a few technical difficulties later before Peters took to the stage, something of which didn’t dampen the sold-out crowd’s energy.

Hot off Ed Sheeran’s stadium tour, Peters’ production was big ideas on a small scale: after filling the stage with smoke and dimming all stage lights, Peters’ soft voice filled the room, sweetly instructing us all to leave our worries at the door and enjoy the witchcraft that was about to commence.  

But, after striding on stage in platform boots and a mini skirt, Peters’ vocals were instantly overwhelmed by the Sheffield crowd singing along to opener ‘Body Better’ and the bridge of ‘I’m Trying (Not Friends)’ – arguably one to rival even the best of Taylor Swift’s bridges.  

Out of breath and clutching our chests, we were then treated to a rare rendition of ‘Elvis Song’  and ‘Love Him I Don’t’ after Peters described the tour as a victory lap of 2021’s You Signed Up for this, featuring a pick and mix of fan favourites, whilst teasing the release of her new album The Good Witch, to be released on the 16th June. 

Cate returned to the stage for a rendition of ‘Cates Brother’, narrating the story of Maisie’s relationship with her best friend’s brother, changing up the lyrics to create a powerful back-and-forth duet. 

The noise from the crowd truly made the gig a special place to be, never before have I heard a crowd sing along so loud, overpowering the vocals of the performer on stage. Even when Peters’ played new song ‘You’re Just A Boy (And I’m Kinda The Man)’ yet to be released, fans were almost word-perfect by the second chorus. 

Being at a similar stage of life to her young female fans, Peters represented the relatable friend or big sister character, from (rightfully) boasting about finally getting her drivers licence in ‘You Signed Up For This’ to detailing drunk anger after a breakup in ‘Villain’, it seemed like she managed to write at least one relatable lyric for every single person in the Leadmill. 

Pulling on her acoustic guitar, Maisie pre-warned the crowd she was about to make us cry in a medley of her most gut-wrenching songs: ‘Glowing Review’, ‘Volcano’, ‘Good Enough’, ‘Favourite Ex’ (during which the lights did flicker) and a cover of Taylor Swift’s ‘Dear John’, much to the delight of the Swifties in the room – which was almost all of us. 

After creating an atmosphere quiet and sombre enough to hear tears hitting the floor, we were launched into a fast paced and feverish rendition of ‘Not Another Rockstar’, in which Maisie proved she was in fact the real rockstar, whipping her platinum blonde hair to the chorus and holding powerful notes as the crowd screamed her name, before completing the set with her latest single ‘Lost The Breakup’.

After a brief disappearance, Peters returned to the stage to encore with ‘Blonde’ confirming that, despite her personal experiences of heartbreak, she is in fact the hottest 5’1 box bleached blonde around, and she is adored by a sold-out crowd of 900.

Maisie Peters is certainly set for big things and her Leadmill showed just that: catharsis in its finest form, the singer-songwriter left us well and truly feral and keen for our next hit of Maisie, hopefully soon to be in bigger venues.