Review: SUTCO’s ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ (13th May)

Shakespeare’s work is always difficult to perform. The characters and writing are hundreds of years old, and it is a challenge to convey their meanings to a modern audience, particularly in terms of Shakespeare’s comedies. Knowing this, I was cautious about SUTCO’s Shakespeare in the Park performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, as I was afraid they would not do it proper justice. However, I am now glad to confirm that, despite any minor issues, I was pleasantly surprised with the overall result.

Nothing really beats a play in the sun, and the Crookes Valley Park setting did not disappoint. The green, sunny atmosphere paired with the minimalist set was immediately pleasant and felt like a great way to spend your afternoon. Aiding this was the central plotline, which was exceptionally presented, particularly due to the brilliant work of the main four leads (Abigail Wright, Francesca Vercoe, Alec Malkin and Alicia Fitzwilliams). However, a comedy play is nothing without its comedic relief and the Six Clowns never failed to disappoint, especially due to Matthew Heppell’s joyous performance as Bottom. Heppell had a fantastic grasp of the lines and truly did his character justice, making everybody burst into laughter every time he was on stage. Another highlight of the play was Sebastian Ellis’ Puck who managed to not only capture his character’s mischievous energy, but have a fantastic dedication to every scene he was in.

This being said, no show is without fault. Though slightly nervy performances, technical errors and a prolonged interval can easily be chalked up to first show jitters, my main issues lay with the volume of the actors. The outdoor set meant the actors had to project their performances, and it was difficult to hear some of the actors at times. 

Overall, this was a charming, well-acted comedy in a gorgeous setting that was put on for a brilliant, charitable cause. The actors are clearly having a good time, and if I’m being honest? It is hard to not get caught up in all the excitement and I can’t wait to see what they do next. I’ll just remember to bring my sunscreen.

★★★★☆

Murdle wins Book of the Year

Last night book-lovers across the UK watched this year’s edition of The British Book Awards unfold at Grosvenor House in London. These awards, which...

The flawed student loan system

The student loan system operates on assumptions, and what Student Finance labels you as can make or break your university experience. Students...