Live Review: Circa Waves @ O2 Academy Sheffield

When I heard Circa Waves were playing in Sheffield I was filled with nostalgia from my early gig-going days and instantly began seeking tickets. Having seen them play Rock City in Nottingham several times, it’s always been clear to me that they are well-versed with a stage of this size, and know exactly how to command their crowds accordingly. Admittedly, the band didn’t do much to engage the crowd in terms of chit-chat, but the songs themselves carried the gig.

As always at a Circa Waves gig, the energy of the crowd was immense and the atmosphere in Sheffield’s O2 Academy was great. However, as many people who’ve seen the band before will know, elements of the crowd – the moshers, to be specific – can be slightly too enthusiastic at times. I’ve never completely understood why this phenomenon takes place, but it seems that certain Circa Waves fans can take things a bit too far with the band’s crowds often ending up a bit ‘shovey’ and borderline violent. This is especially strange given the vibe of the music, which isn’t particularly charged with rage. In fairness, frontman Kieran did a great job of occasionally checking in with everyone, displaying the band’s genuine love for their fans.

Clearly main support band Cassia didn’t relax the crowd quite enough with their laid-back bops, but it wouldn’t be fair to criticise them – they owned the stage and performed a short but sweet set, more polished than I would have imagined. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for second support band Courting, who just seemed to lack prowess; they were also unfortunate victims of a sound system disaster.

With five albums to their name, Circa Waves are certainly spoilt for choice when it comes to setlist options and every song on the varied setlist went down well with the crowd. Tunes from the latest album Never Going Under evoked just as much of a response as any of the old ones; ‘Hell on Earth’ was a particular highlight with its clever contrast of dark, witty lyrics yet upbeat feel. I was absolutely delighted when the intro to ‘Sorry I’m Yours’ emerged – this was my favourite song from third album What’s It Like Over There, yet it didn’t feature on the tour of that album in 2019, so hearing it live four years later was a dream. Its crashing drums and hard-hitting lyrics certainly made an impact on all of us in the room.

And of course, the final song (need I name it?) was the resounding highlight of the night. For many of Circa Waves fans, ‘T-shirt Weather’ was our introduction to the band, and its unfaltering presence in the setlist demonstrates how this is a song we will never grow tired of. It is tied so closely to such an exciting time in my life as a young teenager discovering indie music, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

I think it’s impossible to not have a great time at a Circa Waves gig. It’s great to see the band evolving through the years and still gaining new fans. I’ve never heard a bad word about them, and in the current musical climate I think this level of professionalism and consistency is so highly valued.

SUTCo Review: Shakespeare in the Park: As You Like It

This weekend saw the Sheffield University Theatre Company (SUTCo) take over Crookes Valley Park for a two-day production of Shakespeare’s As You Like It...

University announces Weston Park May Fayre collaboration

The University of Sheffield is among a number of groups, including Sheffield City Council and Heart Radio, coming together to facilitate the annual Weston...

AGMs 2024: Craft Club Committee formed after AGM re-run

The Craft Club Society have recently revealed their committee for the 2024/25 academic year, after previously struggling to achieve sufficient interest from members. The...