Its meteoric rise and continued popularity have placed Hamilton as one of the strongest musical productions in recent history, with one of the largest fanbases currently in the theatre scene. Currently with six static productions and three tours across the globe, Hamilton has been wowing audiences since 2015. I was recently able to catch the production on Broadway and witness its grandeur first hand.

Hamilton tells the story of the titular Alexander Hamilton, one of America’s founding fathers as he progresses from immigrant, to soldier, to founding father of a nation breaking away from the British Empire under the reign of King George III. We follow Hamilton’s life, relationships, and political endeavours throughout the late 18th century and how America was born. It was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, with songs grounded in hip hop, R&B and soul.

To begin with, the set is wonderful. It’s simple, two-levelled design largely leaves centre stage empty, but feels more like a courtyard than within a building. The moving elements of the scenery, especially several staircases, makes each scene feel dynamic and the flawless manoeuvrability makes transitions seamless. The lighting of the set gives a slight golden, yellow hue throughout the theatre, which gently lures you into the scene, and makes you feel like you’re back in 1776 (you could say as if you’re in “The Room Where It Happens”).

From left to right – Miguel Cervantes as Alexander Hamilton, Trey Curtis as Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson, Gregory Treco as George Washington & Euan Morton as King George III

Every cast has stand-out performers, but the nature of this show elevates and highlights each and every member of this phenomenal cast, which has to be commended. Hamilton was played by Miguel Cervantes in what can only be described as a genius piece of casting. His stage presence, aura and charisma is full of energy throughout his long performance and his skills don’t falter at any point during the run. He gives the impression that he genuinely loves not only his job as a performer, but the role and the show as well, which is lovely to see and makes his character deep and meaningful.

Trey Curtis played both Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson in an audience-favourite performance. By a halfway through Act 1, an impromptu applause would begin at every song he led. Curtis is a dominant presence throughout the performance, controlling the stage whenever he speaks and rapping at unnatural speeds with exacting skill. Two other smaller performances that need highlighting were Gregory Treco, covering the role of George Washington from his usual performer, and Euan Morton as King George III. Both had stellar moments & Morton’s few songs are synonymous with eruptions of laughter.

This production is one which needs to be seen in person. Online versions simply do not do this show justice, as is the case with classics like Les Misérables. Having received 63 awards in its productions across the globe, Hamilton may be the next theatrical great.

Rating: ★★★★☆

Hamilton is currently showing at Broadway’s Richard Rodgers Theatre & at the Victoria Palace Theatre in the West End. A Broadway recording is currently available on Disney+

Image Credit: Broadway.com