The two theatre capitals of the world are known by thousands across the globe for their fame, quality productions and grandeur – London’s West End and Broadway in New York City. I’ve been visiting the West End for many years, but this summer I was fortunate enough to make my first trip to the golden lights of Broadway. And whilst I was there, I noticed several factors that separate American theatre’s best from British theatre royalty.

Number Five – The Theatres

There are many theatres in both London and New York City, but not all qualify as West End or Broadway theatres simply due to their location. In London, the term ‘West End’ is typically reserved for commercial theatre productions in Theatreland, traditionally defined as the area which sits with Regent Street to the west, Kingsway to the east and The Strand to the south. However, there are still some exceptions to this, such as the Apollo Victoria Theatre in Westminster (currently home to Wicked). It is also comprised exclusively of the SOLT (Society of London Theatre) members in this area. There are 39 West End theatres, with the oldest being the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, opened in 1663 & the oldest theatre site in continuous use in the world (currently showing Frozen).

Broadway is slightly stricter with its definition. A theatre may only be named a Broadway theatre if it has 500 seats or more and is located between 41st and 54th street (running west to east), and between 6th and 8th avenues (running north to south). There is an exception to this classification as well though, with the Vivian Beaumont Theatre at Lincoln Center by West 65th street (where Camelot closed in July). There are 41 Broadway theatres, with the Lyceum Theatre (home to Grey House) opening in 1903, making Broadway 240 years younger than the West End.

Number Four – Production Displays

Walking through Broadway and the West End conjure images of magic. An excited buzz in the air as showtime approaches, as you wander through the crowds heading towards your theatre. On the West End, as you get close you feel yourself putting away Google Maps and scanning above you for the huge glowing signs & massive displays letting you know you’re almost there. But on Broadway, this doesn’t happen as much. As I wandered around NYC, I noticed that the signs above theatres for their productions were considerably smaller, and largely stuck to the thin porticos above the doors.

This was most apparent at & Juliet. During its London production, which closed in March, & Juliet was showing at the Shaftesbury Theatre. Both sides of the building exposed to the streets had pink posters around two storeys high with production quotes and lyrics, and the curved section on the corner of the building had a glittery covering with the massive letters of ‘& Juliet’ covering it. The display was astonishing. But across the pond, where & Juliet is still playing at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, all promotional materials were kept to displays which can be changed quickly, are much smaller and much easier to miss than in London. You wouldn’t realise the production was there unless you were right in front of it, and this seems to be the case across the Broadway theatres, with a similar story at SIX and Hamilton. However, many productions do have much larger displays on screens in the nearby Times Square, which certainly reaches many more people than displays outside West End theatres.

Image Credits: From The Box Office Blog & NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project

Number Three – Playbills

Whenever you walk into a theatre foyer, you are usually greeted by a merchandise stand, selling clothing, trinkets and programmes. This is synonymous in the West End and Broadway. However, upon entering a Broadway production, you are given a Playbill, a small mini magazine with information about the current cast, any cast changes and advertisements for productions and businesses nearby. The Playbills are free of charge, updated monthly, and if you go in June, are decorated with a rainbow heading for Pride month. This small souvenir is brilliant as a keepsake, to let you read about the cast, and has not yet been reflected in any form in the West End.

Number Two – Fame

It is no secret that the theatre scenes in London and New York are easily the two most famous theatre locations worldwide, with legions of theatre and drama students aiming to one day perform on their legendary stages. But New York is ever so slightly more famous. The name ‘Broadway’ is known to a much wider range of people than the ‘West End’ is, but it is a tight race. Both locations are world-leading, but Broadway seems to have an edge, mentioned in popular media at a higher rate than the West End is. However, it is worth noting that many references to London’s theatre scene tend to mention the city, rather than ‘West End’ specifically.

Number One – Ticket Price

The West End and Broadway are two very different theatre environments, the two most prestigious in the world. But the factor that differentiates them the most is ticket prices. London and New York are two of the most expensive cities in the world, but this is particularly hammered home the other side of the pond. And my first impressions appear to be sustained. In order to establish just how different they were, I looked at the cheapest and most expensive seats for the evening performance on Saturday September 2nd for the eight shows currently playing on both Broadway and the West End (Lion King, Wicked, Back To The Future, Hamilton, SIX, Moulin Rouge, Book of Mormon, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child). On average, the seat prices are 130% more expensive on Broadway than in the West End (as per conversion rates on July 24th). This huge increase is, in part, due to huge booking fees and restoration levies, in some cases adding an additional $100 to the ticket price. This monumental increase in price may have several factors, but Broadway’s international fame is potentially one of the biggest causes.

These differences are just some of the many things that separate us from our American cousins, but one thing is clear – the love of theatre burns bright, no matter which side of the pond you go.

Image Credit: Deadline