Back for it’s second year running, Float Along 2023 is packed to the brim with talent; from local post-punk outfit City Parking to up-and-coming shoegazers Bdrmm, the day festival offers an exciting selection of music spanning across different genres and soundscapes. These are our picks for the most exciting acts playing at this year’s iteration of Sheffield’s newest festival. 

Erol Alkan

I first saw co-headliner Erol Alkan at the inaugural Wide Awake festival at Brockwell Park in 2021. His set was in a traditional Victorian bandstand with the London skyline behind him which was absolutely mesmerising. The music only added to the amazement with his genre-bending set mixing traditional aspects of house and techno with features of both funk and rock music. As an avid acid house fan, I was blown away by tracks like “Automatic” where the funky bongo and hi-hat groove are seamlessly fused with a squelching acid synth, complimenting each other perfectly. A very impressive DJ, Erol Alkan is sure to get the Float Along crowd going wild at Sidney & Matilda late at night. 

DEAFDEAFDEAF

The second artist I can’t wait to see at this year’s Float Along is DEAFDEAFDEAF, an exciting goth/shoegaze outfit from Manchester. The band, who I will be paying close attention to at this year’s Manchester Psych Fest, have a very distinctive sound and are one of my personal favourites at the moment. Their live album is incredible and one I recommend you listen to if you have the time. Their sound is industrial and brooding but with a very soft, euphoric, and melodic vocal line. 

Personal Trainer

Another band that have been on my radar for a while are Amsterdam-based rock outfit Personal Trainer. The band played a packed-out Bodega at Nottingham’s Dot To Dot festival earlier this year and were probably the most anticipated band of the day; I was at the venue having a drink half an hour before their set and there were already queues at every entrance to Bodega’s top floor stage. Slightly reminiscent of Parquet Courts, the Dutch band always bring the energy to their live shows. I will be sure to catch their set this time around.

City Parking

Curated by BBC Introducing Sheffield, Sidney & Matilda’s Factory Stage will host a bunch of great local bands at this year’s Float Along Festival, including Sheffield-based newcomers City Parking. Their music, while part of the post-punk wave that has swallowed up the UK recently, is also distinctly Sheffield with mentions of Meadowhall, Ecclesall and the famous West Street Off Licence shop adorning their album cover. Their music is funky, assisted by the cowbell, clicks and bongos, but the guitars are also dreamy with plenty of reverb. Tracks like “Fat Ank Les” show just what the band can offer.

Bdrmm

A very impressive set supporting Ride at The Foundry last year left me eager to see Bdrmm again. The Hull-based four piece have recently released their second album ‘I Don’t Know’, which is far more shoegaze-heavy than their previous record. The band fuse the heavy, noisey aspects of shoegaze with electronic and synth elements, creating a very ethereal texture. I can’t wait to hear their new material in a live setting, especially tracks like ‘Alps’ and ‘Pulling Stitches’ which are texturally impressive and experimental while still being rhythmically rigid. 

Float Along 2023 will take place on the 23rd of September across a range of stages at the Leadmill, Sidney & Matilda, and Corporation. Tickets are £38.50 and can be purchased here.