In the first new-build West End theatre in 50 years, an equally fledgling musical has just started playing to its first audiences. But that’s not the only first that this production gives us. After first hearing their music this summer at West End Live, I went to see The Little Big Things at @sohoplace, to witness history.

The Little Big Things is based on the memoir by Henry Fraser. The musical follows Henry himself, a young, athletic rugby player who’s life is turned upside down after a vertebral injury whilst on holiday with his brothers. With everything in Henry’s life forced to change so suddenly, will him and his family be able to adapt to the change, or will the rest of his world fall apart?

First of all, it needs to be highlighted that this show is ground-breaking before we even consider the content. This production is the first time in West End history that a wheelchair-user has played a leading role, which is fantastic to see and long overdue. The show features cast with various disabilities and being able to see and recognise such talent is lovely.

The show itself is quite simply beautiful. There’s no other way to describe it. The plot is deep, yet extremely hopeful. The show is empowering! It doesn’t treat disability as this terrible thing that can happen, it shows to all of us that being disabled can be limiting at times but there’s so much more to it than what you can’t do. The lighting design is breath-taking, the use of space is imaginative and fun. And the choreography is brilliance. Several times in the production, the entire cast dance to a song’s chorus using sign language. But what’s lovely about it is that sign language is incorporated into the choreography, rather than stopping to include it, which is powerful and emotional but also lovely to see such inclusion on a West End stage. Stunning!

From left to right – Amy Trigg as Agnes, Ed Larkin as Henry Fraser & Malinda Parris as Dr Graham. Image Credit: The Little Big Things

This entire cast blew me away for the duration of the show, but if I had to pick stand-outs, Amy Trigg as Agnes instantly comes to mind; her charisma, energy and comedy blends well with her profound messages of hope and joy. Seeing a character who has used a wheelchair for a while guide Henry as he’s starting out and trying to cope himself is an inspiring story and one that she executes perfectly, whilst also making us laugh the entire time she’s on stage. What a performance! Ed Larkin plays Henry Fraser and the way he interacts with the other cast members, including Henry Fraser ‘Before’ is lovely to see. He brings passion to the role leading this amazing cast. Finally, I want to mention Malinda Parris as Dr Graham. A powerhouse in herself, when she’s with Amy Trigg, you know you’re going to be in fits of laughter.

The Little Big Things is a remarkable, hopeful production making West End history and kickstarting conversation about issues that are overlooked by the vast majority of us who have never had to consider them. Everything about this show is perfect and is one of the best pieces of theatre I have ever had the pleasure to see. If there is any way for you to see this show, please do so; you will have an amazing time.

Rating: ★★★★★

The Little Big Things is playing at @sohoplace until November 25th