Here at the University of Sheffield, we have over 350 societies and sports clubs. Among these are a wide variety of groups focused on many different aspects of the arts. If you’re new to university and hoping to find friends or start a new hobby, look no further! Read on to find out about some of the best arts-based societies to join at UoS, and make sure to keep an eye out for their stalls at the activities fair on Thursday 21st September in the Student’s Union.

For the visual artist

Art society: offering a mix of fine art and crafts, this group meets fortnightly.

Ceramics society: introduced just last year, making beautiful crafts to take home.

Photographic society: hosts weekly relaxed meetings and has cameras to borrow for free.

For the theatre enthusiast

SUPAS (Sheffield University Performing Arts Society): puts on musicals throughout the year.

SUTCo (Sheffield University Theatre Company): puts on straight plays throughout the year.

USLES (University of Sheffield Light Entertainment Society): creates and performs original material.

For the dancer

Burlesque society: an inclusive and casual introduction to the wonderful world of glamour.

Capoeira society: martial arts meets dance, this is a great way to have fun while keeping fit.

Ceilidh society: relaxed dance-centric gatherings set to traditional British music.

Chinese Classical Dance society: from general fitness and wellbeing exercises to performance classes.

Dance society: ballet, modern, tap, hip hop and contemporary, with opportunities to compete for the university.

Irish Dancing society: society of the year for 2023, this group is inclusive of all abilities.

Latin and ballroom dancing society: a range of styles, with opportunities to compete for the university.

Morris society: open to everyone regardless of experience, this society meets weekly.

Swing dance society: focusing on Lindy Hop and Charleston, this group holds many socials.

For the comedy fan

Comedy revue society: inclusive and encouraging, this group hosts shows and workshops.

SHRIMPS (Sheffield Comedy Improvisation Society): holds weekly workshops.

For the bookworm

Book society: reads one book a month, with weekly discussion meetings and other socials.

Comic book society: expand your comic library and enjoy socials with like-minded friends.

For the writer

Creative Writing society: re-introduced last year, this group offers a safe space to share your work.

Poetry society: offers various workshops, as well as a monthly open mic night.

Whatever you like, we’ve got you covered!