Originally written by the legendary French playwright Molière and adapted for modern audiences by Roger McGough, The Hypochondriac is a play which has stood against the test of time, still being loved and enjoyed by audiences exactly 350 years after its first performance.

McGough manages to stay more or less true to Molière’s original plot. I found the start of the play relatively slow, with the emphasis being on setting the scene and establishing the relationships between the characters. Thankfully, halfway through the first act, the production was kicked into life. The arrival of father and son duo Dr Diaforious and Thomas Diaforious sprang both the cast and the audience into life, and from that point onwards the satire genre of the play seemed to step aside; and a laugh out loud comedy ensued.

From left to right – Garmon Rhys as Thomas Diaforius & Edward Hogg as Argan. Image Credit: IMDb

In particular I felt that the character of Thomas Diaforious, portrayed by LAMDA alumnus Garmon Rhys, added a unique dynamic to the show: every time he delivered a line, the audience was in stitches. Rhys’ stellar performance was emulated by all of his fellow cast members. Edward Hogg’s version of the arrogant and egocentric lead Argan was impressive, not in the least because he managed to take a dull and hostile character and make him likeable. The cast of this production were truly magnificent; and I would go as far as saying that it was one of the best ensemble performances I’ve seen outside of the West End.

The only reservation I held whilst watching the performance was the use of rhyme in most spoken lines. While it was an integral part of Molière’s original prose, I felt as though the implementation of the rhyming into a modern production grew slightly tedious towards the end. However, this did not take away from the overall excellence of the show.

Put simply, The Hypochondriac is proof that adaptations of classic masterpieces do indeed work. Adaptor McGough, director Sarah Tipple and all of the cast and crew worked together to produce a fine production. A stunning synthesis of set design, humour and rhyme; The Hypochondriac really is a must-see for all theatre lovers in Sheffield.

Rating: ★★★★★

The Hypochondriac is playing at the Sheffield Crucible until October 21st. Tickets are available here

Image Credit: Sheffield Theatres