The Hoosiers certainly beamed with confidence when they strutted onto the Leadmill stage on Saturday night. The band’s confidence, I discovered when I chatted with them earlier in the day, is not only surface level but skin deep. Confidence, which is the title of The Hoosier’s comeback album, is something drummer and founding band member Al Sharland believes there is a lack of and that “if everyone had a little dose of it, the world would be a better place”. Vocalist, Erwin Sparkes, added that it is also important to “embrace who we are”. They do this by staying true to the band’s own personal sound which he says is “upbeat and positive”. 

The lads definitely created a wholesome group energy and a sense of belonging in the audience last weekend. This was especially apparent when they encouraged the audience to join in for an acoustic version of their hit song, ‘Goodbye Mr. A’. Al says this bit of the set often makes him tear up. The classic song turns 16 this year; I asked Erwin and Al what they would tell their 2007 selves. Their advice was to “try and enjoy the moment” and not to “wait for the next thing”. 

The Leadmill crowd were unquestionably living in the moment, with the band leaving the stage to a deafening chant for “one more song”. When the band has such an enthusiastic and supportive fanbase, it’s natural to wonder why it has taken eight years for them to release new material. When I put this question to the boys, Al responded that they were “waiting for inspiration to land” and that the time had come to “write some nice new tunes”. 

Erwin added that he had “tried other bands” but “The Hoosiers have got something special”. Covid made the band realise that, as live music wasn’t possible, they were in real danger of “losing it” – hence the creation of the new album. We discussed their love for performing live. This was no surprise as The Hoosiers have two live albums, the 2015  ‘Acoustic Songs in a Church’ and the other ‘Live in London’. They said that they love it when the audience is “not too big” and you can “see the crowd”. They said that the value of grassroots venues should not be overlooked and that they “love a bit of the Leadmill”. Acknowledging how topical this is with the threat of closure looming over the Leadmill, Erwin declared that “it’s the small-medium venues where you can create those sort of memorable moments”. You need people who are “passionate about what they do” and allow for spaces where new artists, like their younger selves starting out in Reading, can “learn and hone their craft”. He went on to say that “if we lose them the country suffers and for some reason, the government doesn’t quite get that”.

The Hoosier’s classic song ‘Worried About Ray’ expresses worry for the future. I asked whether the future was still something they worried about in 2023. They responded that they worried “more than ever in a global sense” and that “you worry about the future if you love the present”. They also stressed the importance of living in the moment as what happens next is something we “can’t control”. 

The Hoosiers’ Leadmill show ended on a high, despite a few hecklers attempting to kill the mood. The band even freestyle danced off stage at the end of the show. One thing that was clear to see was how much the Hoosiers’ gel on stage as artists and as friends. They are certainly some of the happiest performers I have ever seen. I asked them who their influences are and they said that there are those artists that “you love and those who you are influenced by”. They enjoy the music of Supertramp, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac and “anyone who did pop with an edge”.

During the show, the entire band sported fabulous white jackets accompanied by tasselled sleeves. They were hanging up in the dressing room during the interview and I enquired about where they had got them from and who were their fashion influences. In their own words, they are “completely useless when it comes to fashion” and they enlisted the help of Brighton artist Amy Isles Freeman to craft the colourful coats. Coming back to confidence, they emphasised the importance of collaboration and that part of confidence is “being willing to share”. 

The Hoosiers’ promised that there is more to come with a sixth album already in the works. ‘Confidence’ is streaming now and be sure to check out the lads’ socials for a glimpse of those brilliant blazers!