Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC emerged victorious in a tight top-of-the-table clash against Kiveton Park FC. 

Wednesday started on the front foot, with a chance to score within 30 seconds of kick-off. The first clear-cut opportunity came from some brilliant work from Izzy Rundle to keep it alive after a misplaced free-kick delivery, but Heidi O’Reilly couldn’t quite convert. 

Much of the early play was orchestrated by passes forward by O’Reilly and Rennee Simonite-Scott. 

Despite Wednesday having the early chances, the possession was largely in the hands of Kiveton, with Natasha Lindley coming closest for the away side. Her shot was palmed away by Kirsty Tonner and Louisa McKenna headed over from the resulting corner. 

The home side started to pepper the Kiveton goal with long shots just before the half-hour mark, but none troubled Ruby Jenkinson too much. 

Kiveton’s captain Sara Tyler was instrumental, almost sending Sky Hughes in on goal on multiple occasions, but the Wednesday defence stood firm. 

The hard-fought victory took Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC to the top of the league. (Image Credit: Forge Radio)

A fantastic ball from Izzy Rundle was missed by the Kiveton defence in the 39th minute and Eleanor Vessey was first to it, poking it home to give the home side the lead. Rundle had chased onto a long ball down the right wing and cut back to play an inch-perfect left-footed cross into the corridor of uncertainty. A wonderful assist. 

McKenna hooked the ball over the Wednesday crossbar just before the teams were called in for half-time at 1-0. 

After the break, Kiveton had an opportunity with a dangerous free-kick from Sarah Anderson but were denied by an offside call. 

Maisie Gilligan went down with what appeared to be a nasty ankle injury, resulting in a lengthy stoppage. Thankfully, she recovered and was able to continue. 

Norsworthy latched on to a defensive error just before the hour mark, getting in behind to force the keeper to turn it behind with a strong save, but the pinball from the corner didn’t quite land kindly at a Wednesday player’s feet. 

The game got heated after a few rough challenges from both sides, starting due to Norsworthy’s admirable desire to win the ball every time it came near her, deep into the attacking third. 

There were smiles and shaking hands after that, but Kiverton put a strong challenge in a few minutes later, on Tamsin Stephenson, enraging the Wednesday bench as it went unpunished.

The away side struggled to keep a hold of possession as they had done in the first half due to Wednesday’s pressure after the break, and occasions where they were on the attack were few and far between. 

An effort from 25 yards by Simonite-Scott was all that came close to the Kiveton net late on, but a good save denied her. 

Sky Hughes came closest to causing a problem for the Owls’ defence towards the end but her low cross was well-turned away by the feet of Tonner. 

As injury time began, the game became stretched, and a mistimed tackle in front of the Owls’ bench extended the game, but the referee blew the final whistle on 90+8 minutes to give Wednesday a deserved win. 

Wednesday moved top at full time, awaiting results from elsewhere. The next home game is against Brinsworth Whitehill next Sunday, 29 October. 

SWLFC 1-0 KPFC (Vessey 39’) 

SWLFC: Tonner (GK), Gilligan, Yeardley, Vessey, O’Reilly, T. Stephenson, Poskitt, Lavill, Simonite-Scott, Fox, Rundle 

Subs: Harrison, Martin, Millington, Broomhead, Foord, Norsworthy, Gough, Crossland, M. Stephenson, Walker, Wilde, Hooper

Image Credit: Oliver Mitchell